Help to reinforce top of wall

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by James1978, May 10, 2021.

1. James1978

James1978 New Member

Hi to all. Please excuse my lack of knowledge with regards to building. I’m asking for some expert advice if possible. My parents live in a property with an unattached garden wall that leads onto a park. Lately the local kids have been using the wall as a goal post for football games which has started to damage the top of the wall. The wall stands at about 6-7 feet and is made from the standard red brick. The situation is worrying them greatly as the top layer of bricks are coming loose. My question is is there a way I can reinforce the top of the wall. I wondered if there was a very strong type of cement I could use to rebuilt the top layer and maybe add a mesh and cement over that to give it strength.
    Thank you for your time and I look forward to your advice
    Kindest regards
    James

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Apart from erect an electric fence in front of the brick wall or turn the hose on when they kick the ball, you could rebuild the top couple of courses with a strong mix say 4 sand 1 cement and add bed reinforcement mesh or bars to the mortar bed.

James1978 likes this.
  3. James1978

James1978 New Member

sounds good, can I legally electrocute the kids

4. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

Whilst you're bricklaying the top section put spikes through them every couple of courses just to ensure if it happens again the ball will get impaled :p;)..other than that like Jord said, make a strong mix

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You'd probably have to put a sign up, make sure it's written in Swahili.

6. How about removing the loose rows? It's a slightly smaller wall but may be less effort

7. James1978

James1978 New Member

I could but then I’m guessing the ball hitting it would soon mean the next layer was loosened. I’m looking at mixing up some cement but like someone said, less sand plus putting a mesh between the layers as reinforcement

Starslikedust likes this.
  8. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

What’s the condition of the wall like, can’t imagine a well built wall would suffer from having a ball kicked at it. I’m presuming it’s in a pretty bad state for it to have that effect.

9. James1978

James1978 New Member

hi Kas, the wall in general is old but appears in good condition. It’s where the ball has been hitting the first layer, so it’s loosened a few bricks. Plus some kids have taken to climbing over it to retrieve there ball. I think my parents are worried that Someone will get hurt if it’s not repaired