New Cable Run / Install

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mackie, May 15, 2021.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi,

We have had our kitchen changed a couple of years ago, including a gas hob. However "we" want to change this to a Induction Hob. The issue is I have no power going to where the hob is. I have a spare slot in the CU and I assume that I will need 4mm T&E as it is a 32a curcuit.

My question though - Other than running a cable and having to remove the cabinets and appliances between the hob and the board (2 cupboards, Dishwasher, cupboard, Washing Machine, cupboard) what would you all do. It is a concreate floor so no option to go under floorboards.

Obviously it will have to be connected / checked by an electrician as I am only a DIYer but trying to work out if "our" idea of "just" changing a gas hob to electric is feasible.

2. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

Hi check rating top of my head install 6 mill have you a possibility of running externally not ideal but often done and then come in back entry or roof space down to kitchen

3. I had an induction hob that ran off a 13amp plug and worked brilliantly. Search online they sell them in curry’s etc. Saved me running a new supply from the board

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

If you are going to install a new cable from consumer unit you need to engage the services of a qualified electrician before you start any work so you can agree a route with them as it is a new circuit it would need proper testing, certification and notification to go the correct bodies.. all done by the electrician..

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

13A induction hobs have power management software so you cannot put everything on high at ones. Depends whether that bothers you or not.

Any chance of going up? Easy of bungalow and if house lifting boards?

6. Correct, definitely something to think about.

I was worried about this when I got mine but it was fine. We do lots of cooking and never had a problem with the power output of the hob, you can’t have all four pans on maximum at the same time but when would u need that in reality.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

I have fitted quite a few of the 13A inductions down the years, and everyone has been more than happy.

If you go for the running a new cable approach it will class as a notifiable work under the stinking pile of silage that is part P, so you will need to either engage the services of an electrician who is a member of a scheme like the NICEIC or NAPIT to make sure you get the right paperwork (an EIC) or get in touch with your local building control office - else you will be visited by the bogeyman, yes Boris in person!!

Ammusingly a mate of mine did contact our LABC office who said "theres only two of us in the office and neither of us are electricians, do what you like" so the system works. After 16 years (i think) of part P and I'm still a cynic!

But in all seriousness, when you come to sell, if you are selling to someone who has a mortgage, the mortgage companies are getting more and more demanding as to what paperwork they want to see.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  8. mackie

mackie Member

Had not thought of that, plus I also have conduit running down the side of the house for a socket at the front. Possible to upgrade this or run another run in parallel.

9. mackie

mackie Member

I will get getting in contact with some Electricians next week, just trying to get ideas on possibilities before I do.

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Can it be surface mounted in the plinth space? A bit fiddly but saved removing the units. Or in conduit on the floor at the back of the units?