UK Douze Pointe?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Crowsfoot, May 15, 2021.

1. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I don't think so; although we do have a decent song for this years Eurovision Song Contest - which is now only 7 days away.
    "Embers" is the title and it could have a double meaning in that covid 19 is now a ember that we must be careful not to en-flame.

2. Crowsfoot

Here's a good link for us to listen to this years entries https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/songs-videos .
    Give them a listen and post up your favourite and we'll have our own screwfix E.S.C.
    You can also vote for your favourite ES over the last 10 years (I voted Portugal) there.
    Wishing all posters a happy night of Eurovision entertainment!

3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Not wishing to enflame the Brexit debate, I am presuming that this topic has now burnt itself out and only a warm glow from the embers remain :D

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot

I know what you mean, all those "diddly diddly, bang bang,la la la dingadongs" are just so infectious.
    Before you know it we are all singing along to it without realising :):)

quasar9 likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot

I'm quite liking the Danish entry, it's kind of 70s/80s which is very much in my era.
    What do you think (it won't win though)?

6. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I do believe that songs were largely formulaic on the basis of what the west European ear wanted. Since around 2000 when EU greatly expanded, the formula has ceased to work as the enlarged group has split into at least 3 groups, the original northern and Scandinavian group, the Mediterranean group and the Balkan group. The winner must be a solid hit with one of these groups and get enough votes from the others. Plus the intriguing politics, neighbour support and not least the cost of hosting the event if you are a winner. If it was on merit alone and UK sent some proper talent (we have lots) we would be a winner loads more.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot

I personally prefer the big powerful Eurovision ballads to traditional more jolly twee uptempo sounds.
    However, I do agree with you to a certain extent when the eastern bloc countries joined they almost wrecked it because none of them would never vote for a western european song; in-fact they still don't; it's just the fact that the organisers are onto it now and they are more careful not to let too many eastern bloc voting countries through to the finals anymore.
    Perhaps it's us in the free western countries that don't fully understand why this is though?
    You can guarantee Greece will give 12pts to Cyprus and visa versa though:)!

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Nothing sinister I suspect! It’s just that a tune from a neighbouring country is easier on the ear. Especially in the case of Greece and Cyprus, but for the west European ear the character of the music (chord sequence, tunes etc) changes sharply around Turkey and Greece and continues (although evolving slowly over the distance) a few thousand miles east till we hit China and Myanmar. It would indeed be very interesting if we had a world vision.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot

That's interesting quasar9 in that you think the traditional exchange of twelve points between Greece and Cyprus is purely down to the music.

I'd go for it's the affirmation of a unity between Greece and Cyprus after the 1974 Turkish invasion of part of Cyprus every-time?

Anyway, less of the politics behind ESC and on-wards with the music is what I say!

10. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

You are right, I meant to say politics aside…. Indeed politics are largely driving the Balkan group voting for each other and to lesser extent the Mediterranean group. It’s only the northern lot that have played fair. Either way, unless I am out on Sat, I will be watching the exquisitely excruciating acts, pompous ceremony, and a pair of presenters who have had more than a glass of champagne, with perhaps some music on the side. :D

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Crowsfoot

The competition is from Rotterdam, therefore, I don't think you'll be far wrong in your assumption that the presenters will be well oiled on the night because the Dutch are well known for liking a tipple or two.:)

Italy are the current bookies favourites with a punkish rock type of song (different and quite good).
    The competition has been very predictable for the last few years so Italy could be worth a small flutter at the bookies?

Malta are 2nd favourites with a typical piece of eurovision, the singer is a former junior eurovision winner (so shes got form) too.
    I personally hope it doesn't win, which means that it most likely will:(!!

France are fancied too (with a old fashioned euro ballad which is more fitted to my own particular taste).

12. Crowsfoot

Good luck UK in the 60th ESC.

We're on 9th (which is early enough to be forgotten about by the time the votes are due).
    I'm going for San Marino (a tiny country that never normally qualifies) this year.

13. Crowsfoot

Italy are the winners of 2021 just as the bookies predicted and I tipped so hopefully you had a small flutter on them and are now a little bit richer than you were 12hrs ago! Take some compensation from it for the UKs woeful 0 point performance for the 2and year in succession. Have a good 2021 and let's be hopeful some will give us a point in 2022!