Part P questions, DIY nightmare

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dwain pipe, May 21, 2021.

1. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

It's wise to address any obvious safety issues before selling but as long as you are honest about any questions asked, then it's up to a buyer to satisfy themselves of the condition of the property.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

To the OP ...
    You're digging your own hole and you're about to bury yourself!
    The more you know, the more you have an obligation to disclose in a sale.
    As others have said, the very best approach for the seller in a house sale is to say you're clueless. No one can ever go after you if you're clueless.
    By contrast, if you start talking about dodgy this, unusual looking that, etc. then you're no longer clueless, and the buyer can take you to the cleaners.
    Sell the house as is ... if/when anyone asks you for the paperwork for any alterations just tell them you don't have any paperwork, but point them to the local authority. The local authority won't be able to retrieve anything easily, and if the buyer pushes them to produce something, they will probably have to agree to pay an amount that depends on how long it takes them to locate it. No buyer will agree to that, so in fact the house is sold as is. If the buyer doesn't like that, then tough. They move on and you find a different buyer. There will always be a buyer that doesn't care a jot about the paperwork for this, that or the next thing, because many buyers just rent it out or rip it all out and do their own thing anyway.
    Whatever you do, don't upgrade anything because it's bound to be a waste of time and money

I've bought 10 houses in my life, and I've never asked for any paperwork. I do my own home inspections before each purchase, and I can see within the first couple of minutes what sort of condition the electrics, the plumbing, the structure, the roofing, etc. is. I know there are many others like me, who trust their own judgement based on their own experience far more than a report from a surveyor, most of which is so full of ar8e covering indemnities not to be worth a thing.

dwain pipe likes this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You are worrying too much. On the TA6 house information form which you have to fill in when you sell, under the section that asks if there is an electrical test certificate, you put "no". End of story. It is now the buyers prerogative to take a view. End of story. In fact the safest answer on the TA6 is "no" and "don't know" for most things, unless you have particular certs or guarantees.

dwain pipe likes this.
  4. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Mr Rusty is spot on here, no is the correct answer for these questions, it absolves you of in any way, shape or form being accused of implying something is OK or not OK - the ball is firmly in the buyers court.
    Being wed to a solicitor, and via her to a whole family of lawyers, one of the things I hear most as advice is "say very little", the more you say, the more that can be read into what you say, and you dig yourself a hole.
    Stay remote from the selling process, let the agent do what they get a fat fee for (marketing and liasing with the buyers) and the solicitors do the formalities - in some respects it's best never to meet the buyer.
    If the buyer wishes to pay for additional surveys and reports, that is their right - if as a result of these they decide to pull out or reduce their offer you can look at that offer on it's merits and decide whether to accept or re-list the house and try again.
    Having brought and sold many times, (but not as many as Rogerk101!!) I can tell you the game of buying and selling is one of chicken, you have to be cool and hold your nerve and as I say, make use of the professionals you pay vast sums to.

dwain pipe likes this.
  5. dwain pipe

dwain pipe New Member

That's great, many thanks, somebody told me just this afternoon that there's such a form to fill in. I will certainly be saying no or don't know to everything!

6. dwain pipe

dwain pipe New Member

That sounds like superb advice to me, thanks for that. I know what you mean, I'm usually very careful about what I say and write anywhere, and what I sign for. I put the car in the local garage the other day for some repairs and they loaned me a free courtesy car. There was a form to sign to accept responsibility for any damages, fines etc. Of course, that's absolutely normal and it's fine by me, but the guy seemed to be annoyed that I wanted to read all the small print before signing it.

7. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

OP, unless you are qualified in all/any discipline you are not in any position to make a reasonable judgement or on anything. Say nothing.

Buyers either want an old house or not.(and everything it comes with!)

If they want a professional opinion on the roof, plumbing, electrics, dry rot, subsidence, windows...they must engage a surveyor.
    If it's a standard property which shows fair wear and tear...dont let them use any survey as a bargaining tool to reduce the price.
    If they want the house they will buy it.
    End of.
    j

rogerk101 likes this.