Laying LVT on top of laminate? Yay/Nay

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by NewBornBaby, May 16, 2021.

1. NewBornBaby

NewBornBaby New Member

I've read a bit about not laying LVT on top of existing laminate. I'm refurbing a small cloakroom (only about 1m x 2m) which has laminate floor. It would be tricky to remove cos skirting boards are glued to plastered walls and I suspect I'll end up damaging the plaster if I try to remove the boards and get at the laminate.

In that sized room does it matter - can I lay LVT on the laminate or is it best to remove it and put a plywood subfloor down?

Thanks

2. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

This one's simple no but i will explain

Laminate or woods are mainly floating floors they expand and contract even if you cant see it. LVT are fully stuck so you can imagine the outcome.

Also you'd have no warranty on the flooring.

Unfortunately it's skirting off, floor up, skirting back on, ply line min 6mm assessment of joins then either feather the edges or full flexible screed then LVT.

Skirting does not have to be done after as LVT requires no expansion gap.

If the subfloor is concrete under the laminate it'll just need a screed unless their is excessive moisture content in the floor then a liquid dpm can be applied prior to the screed. If your home was built pre 1965 it will need a dpm to get the warranty.

NewBornBaby likes this.
  3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Depends on what LVT you are using.. eg click LVT is floating and doesn't need to be glued, so in this instance can be fitted on top of the existing floor

4. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Yeah you'd need to then hide the expansion joint tho with Scotia.

I mean I'd never lay a floating floor over a floating floor.

What I would say a instaler will give you the right advice but if your doing diy I wouldn't consider stuck LVT you'll ruin your home