Screwing into Lintel?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by fred812, Jun 18, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Took some vertical blinds down to decorate, there were issues with the beads around the windows and got a plasterer in to sort out. He did me a favour and neatened up the plaster around the window recess but in the process covered up the holes for the blind fixing. Trying to put a plug in for a new fixing and getting refusal at 20mm. Its plasterboard initially but then a lintel presumably. Its an 80's house. The old screws are 40mm so can't quite figure out how they went in and the way forward.
    Any ideas please?

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

If it is a metal lintel / beam then a metal drill bit is required.

If not, then an SDS drill is required.

3. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

How do I know which one it is?

4. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Try drilling it with one or the other.
    If you try HSS (metal drill bit) first and it doesn't do much and comes out blunt, then you need SDS with masonry bit.

If you try masonry bit first and it wont drill then it's probably steel.

5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

If your putting the blind back up in same place, is there anyway you can judge where the old lintels would have been drilled and re-use those?

6. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the replies, its only a small temp blind so bodged it with a cut down plug this time.

I reckon its a steel lintel and never had success drilling into steel but probably because my bits aren't up to it. Do SF do any that would be?

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Plenty mate, the gold Erbauer ones are surprisingly good, especially for the money

fred812 likes this.
  8. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks.

9. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Self drilling metal screws. I fitted 4 wood venetian blinds in 40mins.

No pilot hole just mark where you want the bracket and drive the screw in it will go through everything and make irs own thread. Stronger than a plug for sure.

Thank me later

10. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

They're more commonly called baypole screws I should mention. Sfix do sell them but at likr 4.8mm thick, I've used them they work but will take longer to go through. I've got some 3.5mm I got off ebay they fly in

11. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

That's interesting, they look like the ones that came out, although they had been plugged as well. Can they be used twice in a new hole or does the first fixing blunt them?

12. sally green

sally green Active Member

Dave1988
    Can you post me the ebay link, mate?
    Thanks in anticipation of you extra help.
    btw, you can send it via pm if sf no allow.
    x

13. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Yeah one use as the wings snap off. I find a link for you both hang on

14. sally green

hanging on, cheers

Dave1988 likes this.
  15. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

16. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Just make sure you get enough depth 50mm should do it. If your drill bit holder is magnetic you'll know when it's working as you'll get shards stick to the bit.

Remember your drilling metal so keep a nice steady medium speed not too fast not to much pressure

17. sally green

will these go into what i think is a concrete lintel but it could be metal or concrete and metal and my bf says some houses were built using concrete and metal lintels
    thanks again, hun.

18. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

What year is your house?

19. sally green

1960 i think

20. Dave1988

Dave1988 Member

Might be concrete then. You got a bradawl?