Asbestos getting into house from outside

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by LozM, Jun 27, 2021.

1. LozM

LozM Member

Many thanks to everyone who took time to respond to my previous post on asbestos exposure, some re-assuring posts and some worrying ones but have reconciled fact that nothing can do about the exposure and due to distances hoping not to many fibres got on me, I will never understand why I didn't change clothes before dealing with kids but was stressed with everything.

Can honestly say have never been so worried about anything in my life. Have been reading quite a bit and wanted to get view from people on something else to do with what happened.

The builders cut through the softfit in two places with jig saw, the board was about 7mm thick and since has tested and contained Chrysotile asbestos, been reading that jig sawing releases 2-10 fibres/ cm3 - I'll be honest not sure what that really means but is higher than other things that can be done to board. Also not sure if this means those fibres that are released are not bound to the cement anymore and so are microscopic.

What is worrying me now is did any get in the house, the cut was made outside my childrens bedroom window which was closed but they are old wooden windows and the seals aren't the best, the top of the windows end at the softfit that was cut. Here is picture through the window where cut can just be seen :

[​IMG]

Here is picture of window seal on side was cut:

[​IMG]

We have these windows all over the house and some have visible gaps in the seals but fortunately not this one, they are a sort of flexible plastic rather than rubber and a few mm across.

I am stressing out that some microscopic fibres have got into their room, they are only little and worried sick. Should i be getting them out of the room ?

I have wiped around the frames with wet kitchen towel and was dusty but there is normally dust there especially as been on open settings at times during the build.

Really not sure what to do, would it be worth getting someone round to test air, incident occurred on Thursday, not sure if too late now or if anything can do to re-assure ourselves as really affecting our mental health, I so wish they hadn't just cut the boards and paused for a moment.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Lawrence

2. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You really are worrying about nothing. When I started my apprenticeship we worked with asbestos cables and insulation for storage heaters.

Worry more about the damage being done by people smoking near the children, or car exhaust pipes that blow straight into their faces when in baby buggies.

The wind wil have dispersed anything outside now, and you have wet dusted inside.

Sleep easy.

3. LozM

LozM Member

Thanks for quick reply, praying nothing got in, has been very stressful few days, really hope you are right and that wind got rid of most of it from area although wasn't much that day,

Lawrence

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How microscopic do you want to go, garage mechanics who have replaced asbestos lined brake shoes, teacher's who pinned charts, posters, pictures to asbestos lined classroom walls, pipe laggers, lino and tiled ceiling fitters, artex ceiling texturers and so on!

I can appreciate your concerns but really you need to move on. We are all exposed to asbestos fibres that are airborne around us every day.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    LozM likes this.
  5. LozM

LozM Member

Thanks for reply, where children are concerned always a bigger worry and is really small room they are in with that window, guess worried that as right next to it a load got in that exceeds what is usually around us and that could still be laying around, guess you are right they could easily be exposed elsewhere,

Lawrence

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

The wind will have taken it away and rain washed off any residue on the house. I understand your concern but as said we all get some asbestos (some more than others I used to saw asbestos sheet/flue and FILE asbestos gaskets to get a good fit!) Builders have been releasing it into the air for over 100 years. Thankfully we now know the risks and do not build prefabs out of it for families to live in any more. Finally what you have is white asbestos not good on your Cornflakes!;) but a whole lot less dangerous than Blue or Brown.:)

LozM likes this.
  7. LozM

LozM Member

Thanks for reply, there wasn't much wind on the day but guess the stuff isn't looking to get into windows and would have just settled for wind to take it away later, we haven't opened the windows since, rain doesn't tend to get over what are large softfits, been toying with hosing it down but might wait for another day of rain first.

I am starting to think I am looking for things to worry about but do have an irrational fear of asbestos, going to try and enjoy rest of build and stop worrying about every step.

Also having been over on the cancer research site as lots of asbestos chats on there have realised just what some people are going through and puts things very much into perspective, I have also vowed when get more time to start giving back on some of the forums, probably not much help on a build one but also realise I have posted a lot mainly about build worries without really giving back and forums rely on people replying so a big thanks to everyone who has taken to reply,

Lawrence

teabreak likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Whilst your researching have a look at Aspirin problems.

This site cannot help you it is the state of mind you have.

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The stress of worrying about this will do you more harm than ever the asbestos will. You absolutely have nothing to worry about.

LozM likes this.
  10. LozM

LozM Member

Well I am certainly pretty ill from the worry ! Thanks for reply, I really am re-assured and going to try and move on and enjoy rest of the build,

Thanks,

Lawrence

11. Bazza-spark

@LozM if it helps, we had asbestos cement soffits and fascias until I retired then last year they were replaced. We took no precautions inside while the fitters removed them.

I also have artex ceilings containing asbestos, however as it is painted I don't worry unless I need to drill it for any reason, then I send the wife out of the room while I do it. Quick wipe round with a wet cloth when I have finished.

My garage roof is asbestos cement and I spend hours in there potching and fixing things.

Relax and have a large glass of red!

LozM likes this.
  12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

White also works.

Bazza-spark and LozM like this.
  13. LozM

LozM Member

Thanks for your replies, I feel if I start drinking I might not stop ! Pretty happy now from replies none would have got in through window, what still really bugs me and I can not forgive myself for is that after being outside talking to builders whilst it was all going on - was about 5 m away from when they dropped it in dumper and dust came up is that at no point did I consider changing clothes, it was only that night after putting both kids to bed with loads of hugs that suddenly thought oh no it could be on my clothes - have read quite a bit about it getting stuck in clothing, just hope I was far enough way and not being the one to actually cut it that none got as far as me but really can't be sure and it is eating me up. Appreciate nothing can do and need to move on but keep coming back to that aspect of what happened.

Lawrence

14. Bazza-spark

Sure does :)

LozM likes this.
  15. Bazza-spark

Loz you have learned a valuable lesson regarding your own personal hangups. Please, draw a line under it and stop worrying, you will all be fine.

Put it in the memory bank for next time you need work done, then take the action you feel necessary at the time or this will eat you up.

LozM likes this.
  16. LozM

LozM Member

Thanks, I really do need to learn that lesson, just where the children are concerned I worry more, so wish I had simply changed, was outside a lot of the rest of the day so hoping anything blew away, but you are right nothing can do about it now and need to move on, thanks for everyone’s patience.

Lawrence