Splitting 2 lights on a one way switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Andy Field, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Andy Field

Andy Field New Member

Evening, hopefully someone can offer a bit of advice please.
    My wife's nephew has recently bought his first place, a flat.
    In the lounge/diner there is a one way switch controlling 2 light pendants, but he would like to swap the light switch to a 2 way and operate the lights independently.

I took the light switch of today and there were 2 live ( Red wires, old colour wiring in the flat ).
    I've attached a couple of pics of the wiring in the 2 light pendants ( the second picture is the light closest
    to the light switch )
    Is there an way to split the 2 live ( red wires ) at the light switch to get the lights to work separately ?

light 1.jpg light 2.jpg

Thanks
    Andy

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

What is needed is a picture of the switch wiring! Did you take one?

The pictures of the ceiling rose wiring really doesn’t help much, although it does hint that the wiring may be singles in conduit.

3. Andy Field

Andy Field New Member

Thanks for the reply Bazza, here is a pic of the switch
    light 3.jpg

4. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Looks indeed to be either singles in conduit or singles in a flat PVC covering that was used for a while, it had a name, which escapes me.

What you have in the switch is a live in (permanent on) and a live out (switched, would appear to be the red that joins to the yellow in one rose, the yellow then feeds that on to the next rose). In order to achieve what you are attempting you will need an extra switched live threaded from switch to one of the lights.

That threading may be easy, or a pain depending on the way the conduit was done. It's out of the scope of have a go DIY. If the conduit is done properly with good swept bends one would hope to be able to attach 2x new lives to the end of the switched live at the switch and then gently pull the old switched live through, providing a new extra live and a replacement for that pulled out - but its rarely that simple!

As this looks to be an installation dating back to the late 60's early 70's, if it hasn't been done, I would advise having an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) carried out to check the state of things.

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I don’t know what the plastic conduit is called, it looks like it was wired around the 1970’s in plastic conduit that looks like a hose pipe with three bores, which is probably buried in the floor screed of the flat above and there’s a metal conduit box above the light fitting with the fitting secured with brass pan head machine screws.

There’s almost certainly no chance of pulling another switched live through.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I agree. Your option could be to have a smart receiver at each light and a 2-gang wireless switch (or use Alexa etc) to operate the lights. Have a look at the Quinetic range.
    Or you could fit smart bulbs (Philips hue, etc) and control them wirelessly.
    Or forget the whole thing as being too tricky to contemplate!:D

RolandK likes this.
  7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Thats the stuff, and agree, although I think the intent was to be able to pull a new conductor through, its very unlikely to happen

8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

In one block of flats locally it runs around the tops of the walls concealed by the plaster, I know that is within zones, but it does catch you out if you aren’t expecting it.

9. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Agree with this. It's the best way to go. I'd go down the smart bulb route Bazza refers to. Zero extra wiring!

Bazza likes this.
  10. Andy Field

Andy Field New Member

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated. :)

Andy

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

As it's wired in singles you could repurpose the earth/CPC as a second switched live as long as you sleeve it at each end and only fit plastic/non-earthed faceplates

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Brilliant! What do you think will happen if your candidate earth/CPC is connected to one of the metal transit boxes, somewhere?

13. BiancoTheGiraffe

Obviously not something to be done without testing first, but it's highly likely that it's a straight run from the ceiling rose

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Even so, the green wire would need to be identified (sleeved) to identify it as live at every junction box. Not worth it.

15. BiancoTheGiraffe

I'm working on the premise that it's a straight run from the rose to the switch, like a bit of t&e would be