Cut through hedge trimmer mains cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fred812, Jul 16, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Hi, cut through the mains cable on a 450 watt mains hedge trimmer. What should i use to repair it? From SF if possible.
    Thanks.

2. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Muzungu likes this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Integral cable or on with a plug/socket? And which end ... trimmer or plug?

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Err, where the cable has been chopped?

6. FlyByNight

Yes, if close to the mains plug - just a new plug, half way along, possibly an inline connector or in close to te trimmer then either a complete new cable or re-terminate in te unit.

7. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks for the replies. The cut is about half way along near as dammit. 10m cable. Thinking that 2 pin plug connector is the fix. How safe is the live side of the plug?

8. FlyByNight

You put the SOCKET side of the pair on the end connected to the mains plug and teh PLUG on the remaining end from teh trimmer. They are perfecty safe - unless a baby puts their finger into the socket. You do need to confirm your hedge trimmer is just L&N 2-core, if not and there is an earth, you will need teh three way version of the connector assembly.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The live side of the connector must be the half with the holes (ie socket) thus is connected to the power half of the cable.

the bit of cable that goes to the trimmer MUST go to the plug half- that’s the bit with the sticking out pins.

this is the sfx part u need
    C0FC970C-7848-43AE-A2D3-560D4CCE9608.jpeg

10. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks all. Yes, I understand that the socket side must go to the plug and the pin side goes to the trimmer. Would it be acceptable to wrap it in insulation or duct tape to stop it coming apart?

11. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

They don't usually come apart that easily.
    You will not need to tape them together fred.

12. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I have a 110 volt electric Stihl chainsaw, I fitted one of these rather then a 110 volt plug and trailing socket so it would come apart if the cable was snagged to stop it pulling the saw back onto me, there’s been a few times I’m glad I did.

13. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

I've done this three times, is it just me that has used a cable connector and silicone tape?

It is on an RCD though..

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Time to buy yourself a rechargeable battery one then!

FraserD likes this.
  15. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

I'll have to soon.. Not many shrubs left in reach. :rolleyes:

16. FlyByNight

FraserD likes this.
  17. FraserD

FraserD Active Member

18. FlyByNight

Be careful or you could cut your tongue off

FraserD likes this.
  19. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

As mentioned above, one solution would be to replace the entire length of cable if you are comfortable opening up the hedge trimmer. Local garden tool repair shops can also do this for you.

You can also fit this close to the cable from the hedge trimmer (15cm) and wire yourself a new mains plug cable with the orange socket at the other end. That way, if you cut through it again you are only replacing the mains cable.

Alternatively, if you want to just repair what you have but a more secure solution instead of a plug and socket arrangement, then opt for one of these inline cable joints:

https://www.toolstation.com/ip68-in-line-cable-joint/p65284