Where do I go after the tools!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Construction Oldie, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Construction Oldie

Construction Oldie New Member

I'm starting to get back troubles and am having to leave the site behind me! Has anyone found a position/career that allows them to maintain contact with the industry.

2. Markybob

Markybob New Member

College...
    Just enrolled my son onto an apprenticeship, seems most of the guys there are off the tools.... got me thinking!!

3. muppetfeatures

muppetfeatures New Member

Telecoms!!
    Seriously, I know a lot of people in the industry, and most of the guys project managing and supervising the construction of the mast sites are from a construction background. Of the 5 operators in the UK (Orange, Vodafone, O2, T-Mobile, and 3), they have about 40,000 sites across the UK and growing. I know a few 'Construction Controllers' at '3', and they basically havw a clerk of works type role (One of them used to be a brickie). You also have the companies that build sites for the telecom industry (Crown Castle, Clarke Telecom, Taylor Woodrow etc) and they also have similar roles.
    Good package as well! My mates at '3' are on about £34K plus car, pension etc!
    Good luck.

4. tandeh

tandeh New Member

where are you based, construction oldie?

5. T

T Member

what trade was u in?

6. boris the blade

boris the blade New Member

i'd say it was a good time to get out of construction, as i think the country/economy may be heading for a bit of a slowdown, people arnt spending like they were a few years ago.