Bathroom Issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TimHa, Jul 27, 2021.

1. TimHa

TimHa New Member

Hi,

I'm not certain if this is the correct place to post this, but I recently had a bathroom fitted (nov last year), and the waste pipe from the toilet became disconnected during a flush on Saturday night. Fortunately this was a single flush, but it's still about 6 litres of water containing faeces and urine.

This water has flooded under the bath, and soaked through into our kitchen, running down behind the wall hanging units, and dripping through onto work surfaces.

What sort of fix should I be expecting from the original fitter? They are currently recommended that it's cleaned up and the pipe is replaced.
    Then the paintwork on the ceiling is painted with stain block to remove any staining etc.

Personal I don't feel that this resolves and potential contaminants that are now in the ceiling plasterboard, or that have soaked into the wooden units in the kitchen /floorboards / or ply that is under the bathroom floor.
    I know that water has traversed between the floors a significant distance, and soaked through the kitchen ceiling in multiple places.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Contact home insurance before doing anything else.

3. Wouldn’t it be on the fitters liability insurance, or is it best to contact home insurance as well?

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Who knows... but the house insurance would deal with that. As soon as anything is done without them, it will be difficult to subsequently claim. If they deem significant works are needed to the kitchen and ceilings... and the ceilings have asbestos artex, this could get very expensive very quickly.