bath too short: filling the gap

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by rsk, Nov 30, 2018.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Nothing like keeping a thread going after 3 years read all the posts. I've got a gap to fill at opposite end to taps about 200mm. One fitter said to lip the stud under the bath for extra support then build up higher before tiling? Also if I were to make stud 6 inch higher than bath top, I'm thinking when you slide down into the bath you could whack your head on it?

2. Could u build it higher than the bath, like a meter or so high from the floor and make it a shelf for a plant or candle or cleaning stuff etc. ?

John Bunyan and teabreak like this.
  3. John Bunyan

You know that could be a possibility. I'll have a look at it bath height and see what height of could go. Poss even window sill height... Just think if it's too near bath height you could hit back of head when putting head back

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  4. Window height is what I built in the last bath, I had a similar size gap due to a soil pipe. I built it up, continued the boxing up in the corner for the soil pipe vent and then tiled round to the same height as the other walls
    Not the best photos but u might be able to see what I mean by the boxing I did in my last house

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2021
    CGN and John Bunyan like this.
  5. John Bunyan

That looks nice. Do the tiles sit on bath at boxing or does bath butt up to face of tiles? Did you do boxing first then put bath in? And is the boxing flush with long bath panel or does it come forward a bit more so the end of bath panel is set back?

6. The boxing was made the exact right size and boarded and then the bath put in, with the tiles then fitted so they sit on top of the bath.
    I think we made the width of it exactly the same as the bath, so the bath panel which was gloss white wood lined up with it.

John Bunyan likes this.