Quick opinion: keep gravity or go pressurised

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by aak, Sep 2, 2021.

1. aak

aak Member

Hi all, very quick question - have had a major leak from a loft rad resulting in a huge amount of damage. Whilst the house is awaiting repair i figured I’d get the heating system flushed and look at some options to avoid a future repeat.

currently have gravity fed system, with two pumps - one double headed for a main shower which works fine and one single headed for all hot water supply which is pulsing at low flow rates. Also means a problem of v low cold water supply to a downstairs shower which is coming off the water tank and gravity for some reason. Mains water supply is on a 15mm pipe.

I’m told I have two solutions. 1) replace the single header with a double header and put all tap cold and hot water on it so as to resolve the pulsing and cold water supply to the downstairs shower. Risk here is that pumps fail after a few years and the small header tank for the central heating if not isolated runs the risk of a flood for a central heating problem in the future. 2) replace with a pressurised cyclinder A get rid of the hw tank, pumps, cw tank - but would require excavation to supply mains through 22mm instead.

what would you advise?

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Go mains pressure throughout ... like they have in pretty much every normal country around the world.
    No header tank, no pumps, drink from every tap in the house, no dribbling showers, no nonsensical excuses ... just do it. You'll ask yourself how you ever put up with a gravity system for all those years.
    I've now converted about 15 houses to mains pressure and every one has been a vast improvement.

aak likes this.
  3. aak

aak Member

Thanks Roger, is the increase of mains supply from 15mm to 22mm relatively easy I’m general?

4. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Assuming pre requisites are met, UV is the way to go. WTF thinks shower pumps are a real alternative to pressurised?

aak likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Upgrade the watermains to 22mm to improve the water pressure/flow and go for an unvented system.
    The last thing you want is to fit an unvented cylinder with low water pressure/flow rate.

aak likes this.