Ring and radial

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Micky Phillips, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Micky Phillips

Micky Phillips New Member

Hi, is it normal to have a ring final and a radial circuit? The house was built in the early 80s and the right side of the house is a ring final and the left side is a radial. I currently have no power on the left side and using a continuity tester it appears there is a break between the 1st and 2nd sockets.

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Quite common to have a ring for high demand circuits (kitchen/utility, etc) and radial(s) for other rooms that dont need so much power.

Not so common an arrangement for an 1980's house, but perhaps the cabling isnt the original. That age often had just one ring final for the whole house.
    Maybe the radial is a new circuit, or a re-purposed one (a redundant immersion heater circuit is a common candidate).
    What colour conductors. Brown&blue, or red&black?

However, Radials are easier to fault find. Best to find where the break actually is.

Micky Phillips likes this.
  3. Micky Phillips

No it's the original wiring and the radial is on the kitchen side. The colour is red and black. Thanks for answering.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What size ( amperage) is the breaker that protects the radial circuit ?

5. Micky Phillips

It's a 15 amp fuse, currently unplugged at the cu.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What exactly did you test for continuty ?

7. Micky Phillips

Tested the wire from cu to nearest socket in the bedroom which is ok, then from that socket to a socket in the kitchen which appears Broken then from that socket to furthest one in the bedroom which is ok, then to other socket further along in bedroom which is ok.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

That makes no sense at all. If a radial circuit has a break in the wiring ,nothing after the break would work.
    What instrument are you using for testing ?
    How many sockets in total do not work?

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You need to be much clearer about where you are testing between.

10. Micky Phillips

You asked what I checked for continuity. None of the sockets work after the first one. I am checking the continuity of the wires with an Extech pro ct20 3 sockets Don't work after the first 1

11. Tipptop

Tipptop Member

I’d say Mickey is measuring continuity from one socket to the next rather than from beginning of circuit to successive sockets

Micky Phillips likes this.
  12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I would say Mickey needs to clarify. or maybe engage an electrician.

13. Micky Phillips

I thought I explained it, I am as Tipptop said I am checking continuity of the wiring from socket to socket. As per my original question, I was surprised to see a ring final on the right hand side of the house which is the living room and upstairs above, and a radial on the left hand side (kitchen) and upstairs above the kitchen.

14. Bazza-spark

Then it appears that
    1. your problem is probably at the first socket and
    2. with respect, you don't really understand what you are doing.
    I suggest you get a pro in with proper test equipment.

15. Micky Phillips

As I have said I have traced the break in the wire going from the 1st socket in the bedroom above the cu to the 1st socket in the kitchen. There is continuity in all the other wires. As original post is it normal to have a ring final and a radial as posted. With respect I think you are quite rude.

16. Bazza-spark

If you have traced the break then you should be able to repair it.

Sorry if you think I am being rude, but reading your questions, seeing your test equipment, and your apparent level of knowledge I have a concern for the safety of you and your family. If that is rude of me, then guilty as charged!

There is no issue with rings and radials being mixed in a property as you were told by Bazza in #2

17. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Is there a break in the live or neutral conductors or both ?

18. Micky Phillips

As yet I haven't checked that, I will do tomorrow.

19. Bazza-spark

We serve an apprenticeship lasting 4 years to qualify as electricians, and have to re qualify every update of BS7671. We then have to satisfy bodies that we are competent to gain membership. We spend thousands of pounds on test equipment with annual calibrations etc, etc.

You come along with your £35 buzzer and expect free help then have the cheek to call me rude.

What a laugh. No more help from me.

sparky steve likes this.
  20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Eh ?? Where is there no continuity then ? What conductors did you test for continuity if not neutral and live ?