Can I save this concrete fence post?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by WorriedSponge, Oct 10, 2021.

1. WorriedSponge

WorriedSponge New Member

I'm hoping I could get a year or two out of it still if I was to use something like quickcrete which I can put on with a gun. The fence is upright and not compromised on the other posts.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No
    Dump that

3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

If it seems reasonably solid then probably can be left for a while.
    You could make it look better but it won't really add any strength.

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Needs to be changed really. Moisture gets at the reinforcement bars, rust expands them and cracks the post. It gets progressively worse. Amazing how little strength is in them once they start to go. Give that a whack with a club hammer and most of the the remaining concrete will shatter and fall away. The post then just bends around the bars like a hinge, especially as all the weight is then above the compromised section.

5. WorriedSponge

WorriedSponge New Member

Damn, guess I'll start pricing a new post thanks everyone.

6. Truckcab79

They’re not expensive. Cheaper than decent timber ones these days!

7. WorriedSponge

WorriedSponge New Member

Wow about £30 genuinely thought it would cost in the hundreds. Now to spend a few days watching YouTube videos :D

8. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

The issue isn’t the price of the post, it’s how much concrete there is surrounding it to smash out underground.

spannerw likes this.
  9. Truckcab79

Seriously?:D. Thankfully not. Fences are expensive enough even at current prices. A 3m 100x100 timber fence post from Lawsons is currently about £35!

As HappyBuilder says getting the old one out is the main issue. In theory it should be buried in 600mm of concrete. Best to bite the bullet and get digging.