Why don't electricians clean up their mess ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by murrmac, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Very good point about the Environment Agency Waste Carriers licence. However, whether or not a tradesman (sparky or other) has a valid license, there is no reason or excuse to leave a mess (stroppy customers excepted). Bagged-up chippings and clippings are better than leaving the waste in the work areas. As for the scruffy gits whose properties are no different with or without the waste, well, cleaning up the work areas, even by a small amount, may help focus the scruffy minds...... or maybe not.... but there is no harm in hoping.

Leaving a client's site with mess around is akin to the garage leaving greasy hand marks all over the seats of a car after servicing. Imagine the thermonuclear rage the wife would show at picking up that grease on her smart white skirt and top. Heaven help the garage!

2. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

That a bloody thread ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

3. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

It's much easier being a plumber - sweep it under the bath, fit bath panel, job done ;)

4. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I did find a drill under a bath once, probably left by a Sparky, nice one too a Makita. :)

6. ­

­ New Member

Hey, that was mine! :O

7. Q. Why dont electricians clean up their mess.

A. Because we are too busy cleaning out our boxes after the plasteres hae filled em with poop.
    Because we are busy clearing up the mess the kitchen fitters have made of the wiring.
    Because we are busy chasing builders for the cheque we are owed.

8. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

Well said that MAAS.

9. jimmythemap

jimmythemap New Member

Best one yet

I'm still leaving it for the painters though.....

10. SPARKS 001

SPARKS 001 New Member

HAPPY CRIMBO BOYS? KEEP THE CLEANERS EMPLOYED!

11. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

How are we doing Sparks?

12. SPARKS 001

SPARKS 001 New Member

DAM WELL OLD BEAN? Looking at a good steal we had last year £85k yearly and allready pushed it to £96k this year with 4 months to go

13. sparks everywhere

sparks everywhere New Member

Why should we remove rubbish from the site? We're sparkys, not skip hire!
    Clean your mess from the house - YES
    Bag it up for easy removal - YES
    Drive around with a van full of rubbish all day - NO
    Customers do not expect you to remove rubbish from the house. As long as area you have been working in is left clean, then does it matter?

14. Louis Avina

Louis Avina New Member

Mr Murrmac, My name is Louis. I am writing you from the other side of our planet, here in California. Let me assure you this is a global phenomena. As a general contractor who builds custom homes- I hire, what you call "sparkys" quite often. And yes, you are correct in your observations. They do leave trash, and as you would say- Rubbish behind. Mysterious indeed, Odd, Why? Weird!! (I am currently getting into the English accent thingy ma bob) so bear with me. But I am cheating, my wife is half english and yes I have a British visa and I have actually been on SITE projects in West Sussex in the UK lol long story. Also I do eat Marmite, Anyways side note. But hey,, I am here now to address your question from sunny California, so I shall continue. The answer is multifaceted. 1) The word Electrician is closely related to technician. So from the get-go there is a subconscious higher archie attictude associated with the trade. 2) Electricians typically have vehicles set up for many bit and bobs. (That was totally me being English just now) So their vans do not have the set up to be hauling bags or piles of garbage. 3) Then there is a merging of similar branchlike sub psychological reasons. For example. Electrician do projects many times as "a la carte" EG An electrician gets called out to install a ceiling fan. He doesn't know what fan is is or where they purchased it. However he shows up anyway. Completes the job and as he is about to leave the home owner is more than happy to dispose of the one or two boxes. If you combine this type of trend, along with the other points I mentioned should create an overall character profile that is commonly associated with electricians. However (imagine me smoking a cigar as I now speak my words) sparkies lack the insight to switch habits between residential projects (where you can leave rubbish for the home owner to toss in the bin) and site work, where you leave rubbish behind and now we think you are an *******. Or,, as I learned proper English when I worked with the chippys in Crawley- ****, Lol. hope this helped.
    Louis

15. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

This may sound very blunt, but looking at it through a financial lens, do you want to pay someone an Electricians rate to do a cleaners job that you could get done for far less per hour?

16. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Several times I have been threated with the sack (threatened with being dismissed) for sweeping up instead of leaving the labourers to do it.

17. PandA3

PandA3 Active Member

18. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Cost does come into it, I was told many years ago by a good customer (local authority) not to clean up, because they have cleaners who will do that at a fraction of my cost. I think that is where the trade reputation for being messy stems from, plus the fact that little coloured bits of stripped insulation bounce well when dropped and turn up in a corner weeks later.

Of course, if I'm working in someones home I endeavour to clean up well and leave no mess, I carry a dustpan and brush, dustsheets, vacuum etc for that purpose.

19. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

It's nothing to do with being an electrician it's all about whether you were brought up or dragged up. Anyone who walks away and leaves their rubbish for someone else to clean up needs to clean their act up...literally