Insulation problems

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ufoxed, Oct 24, 2021.

1. ufoxed

ufoxed New Member

Hi guys really hoping someone can give me some advice.
    I live in an old mobile home and the floors are freezing and it ain’t even cold yet… I have patched up the holes in the under sheet and I have put 90 mm xtratherm PIR insulation in between the timber bearers that are also 90mm deep I have then put 40 mm over the top of that making 130mm of PIR but still cold…. The concrete base that my home sits on is on a slight slip so water does get underneath but drys fairly quickly but I put a vapour barrier under the mobile home to keep damp off but the floors are still so cold ….
    Really need some help
    Thanks Ufoxed

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Are the walls insulated?

3. ufoxed

ufoxed New Member

Hi jumbo yeah walls and roof are good … this cold floor feeling has only happened since I have fitted PIR board and advised by Xtratherm as to type and thickness… but they still feel so cold… It is hard to find info on mobile homes on the net but I can absolutely say it is because of the PIR that I have fitted… At a cost!!!

4. ufoxed

ufoxed New Member

Sorry Jimbo !!!

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They probably just seem colder due to the walls feeling warmer. Bit like dipping your hands in ice water then cold. The cold feels warm in comparison.

6. ufoxed

ufoxed New Member

No this did not feel the same since I fitted PIR insulation there is a cold field about a foot to 18 “ above the floor …the bed is at that level so makes sleeping tough coz you sweat !!!

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

The insulation might not have improved things by the amount you were hoping for, but it certainly DID improve things. There is no way that it could have worsened things, unless it was so badly fitted, with many new air gaps that weren't there before. How snugly did you fit it?

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

PIR board can be quite difficult to get to perform as it should. It needs a perfectly air tight seal between it and whatever it is insulating. If it’s a good seal tbh even 50mm would have been enough. I presume the 90mm is between the rafters then 130mm on top? Then how is the floor laid on top of that?

9. ufoxed

ufoxed New Member

Hi Jimbo sorry for late reply !! Their is 90mm in between the bearers and 40mm over the top…totalling 130mm .it has all been cut in tight and the edges sealed with expanding foam and the butt joints sealed with foil tape then a via queen sheet over that … but it is still cold and it makes me sweat when the heating is on… not sure what my next move is other than lay a vapour barrier on the concrete floor and use bubble foil on the timber skirt that surrounds the bottom… I just can’t believe I will have to take all of it out other wise.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

IMO the problem is the walls not the floor then