Condensation Query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Blackbox2342, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Blackbox2342

Blackbox2342 New Member

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this situation.

Our bedroom ceiling has wet patches where it meets the outside wall (both corners). The adjoining room is bone dry.

The wet appears over night and dries up extremely quickly in the morning (presumably as temperatures are rising).

The next morning the wet patches reappear.

I am just wondering if this is anything people have experienced before and what steps they have taken? I am unsure if this is something which requires a roofer, a surveyor or someone else entirely different?

There are no other signs of wetness or damp. The bedroom window does get a lot of condensation though.

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

Do you sleep with the all windows and doors closed?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Simple answer is your room lacks ventilation, leave a window ajar to improve the air flow.

4. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

If it's condensation it's likely the ceiling is cold in this area. If the loft is above, have you checked the insulation in that area? My bathroom ceiling had a strip near the outside wall that had a condensation problem. That strip had no insulation above. I installed insulation and the problem went overnight. Remember to leave space for the eaves to breathe though.

5. Blackbox2342

Blackbox2342 New Member

Thanks Goldwise I will have to look, though the loft isn't boarded so got to be careful, don't want to create a different problem!

Concerning others comment, in winter we will sleep with the windows closed. I have been trying to convince my other half to try it with the window open to see if it makes a difference.

Also invested in a dehumidifier to see if that makes any difference.

6. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

My money's on the insulation in the loft having lifted or not present or pulled away from the edge. Can be difficult to check near the edges but needs to be done. A dehumidifier may help but are you going to have it in the room with you and running all night? You'll need ear plugs! And anyway you should deal with the cause as well. Condensation will settle on cold surfaces, normally the windows or frames, not the ceiling which shouldn't be cold.
    Ventilation will help reduce the humidity in the house but in winter at the expense of your comfort level and heating bill!

Blackbox2342 likes this.
  7. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Screwfix Select

The reason I asked is that human beings breathe out a surprisingly large amount of water. I'm sure you're familiar with breathing on a mirror. Multiply that by the number of breaths taken per minute x 60 minutes x 8 hours x 2 people = and that's a significant amount of water with nowhere to go.

I had a girlfriend who insisted on the windows and door being firmly shut Every morning, the windows would be dripping - to the extent that I spent half my life cleaning black mould off the seals. She dumped me, I started sleeping with the window open, and the problem disappeared.

Blackbox2342 likes this.
  8. We renewed our double glazing and now get condensation on the outside. Turns out that so little heat gets through the outside is cold, which leads to the condensation.

9. Blackbox2342

Blackbox2342 New Member

Slept with window on latch and has made a difference, reduced window condensation by roughly half and the two areas which has previously felt wet were dry (though admittedly still cold to touch so the insulation definitely needs checking, though the adjourning room also feels cold in same areas with no wetness).

I'm pretty confident it is a condensation issue.

10. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Do let us know when you've checked the loft.

fred812 likes this.