Smart meter threatening text

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by goldwise, Oct 26, 2021.

1. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

So, yesterday, a week after the last text, they sent me the exact same one again. 3 months ago they sent me 2 texts 1 week apart. There's a pattern here.

Do you think they'll give me notice if they decide to switch my tariff plan? Thus allowing time to agree to these meters? I'm getting that I don't care anymore and I just want them off my case.

2. I would have thought they will write and tell you that they have placed you on the variable tariff and backdate it. The smart meter was a conditions of the contract and, if not fulfilled, you go on the higher rate.

3. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

What were the conditions you signed up to ? If the cheap tariff was conditional on having a Smart Meter fitted, you have broken the terms you agreed to. It is likely that your supplier could move you onto their variable tariff, and back date the charges to work out your underpayment.

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If there is any possibility of that, which I think there could be, you really don’t want to be on any current tariff if you have a decent fixed price now!

eric the fish likes this.
  5. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Yes, agreeing to have a smart meter fitted was part of the plan. I've never refused one. When I've been asked if there is anyone vulnerable in my household (covid), I've told them there is, and that's true. They've agreed to postpone. But now this isn't an option as covid is seemingly over. But it's not essential work and I'd prefer to wait a bit. Why the rush? That's suspicious.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  6. Everyone has a boss. EON is measured by the Government on how many smart meters it fits. They are using the cheaper tariff to get you to fit one, probably within the first 3 months. Obvs that was suspended due to COVID but now the clock will be ticking.

Why the rush? They won't want people signing up to the cheaper tariff and then not fitting the smart meter.

I would just book it in. It takes about an hour, the fitter just gets on with it, then its done.

Or tell EON you have changed your mind and revert to the variable tariff.

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The auto disconnect will be used not only to disconnect non payers, but also during times of peak demand on the network. Smart meters have many features and may be remotely programmed with more as required (that's why they are smart). Presently the suppliers say they have no plans to use the auto disconnect other than for non payers, similarly the variable tariff option and the auto disconnect on exceeding agreed maximum demand is not currently used. But, when the going gets tough, the suppliers and network operators will introduce these features when the meter take up reaches a certain density.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I'm not sure about that. The suppliers hardly need smart meters to cut supplies - look at South Africa right now. The policy is centred on demand management rather than cutting properties off randomly.

9. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

In the end of the day, it sounds like you have signed up to a tariff that requires a smart meter to be fitted. You have not allowed this so far, and the “COVID excuse” no longer works. If you wish to keep what is probably a much cheaper tariff than you can get today, you must have a smart meter. If you don’t, then you do not qualify for the cheaper tariff, and never have.

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Quite right too! A smart network will ensure that priority of supply is given to the old lady who relies on electricity for her stair lift and community transport, rather than the man with his patio heaters keeping him warm as he walks to his hot tub as his over powered Tesla charges.