Advice on levelling base units

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by MozzyMarr, Nov 14, 2021.

1. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

I have spent an afternoon or two struggling with trying to level a base unit. It is made up of a 500mm and a 400mm unit. They are screwed together to make a single unit. The problem is the floor is uneven (we had it levelled earlier this year but for various reasons they didn't do a good job, it is a concrete floor and they wanted to dig the entire lot up, which would have been very expensive).

I almost got it level the other day, but then I discovered my spirit level wasn't that accurate. I went and bought a decent Stabila one and as I tried levelling the unit I managed to make it ten times worse. The problem I have is I adjust one of the feet, then that throughs out the next bit which was previously level. I eventually got it almost level but then the worktop was too high.

Is there any tips to help me level these units. There is also a 600mm cooker unit to join onto these units, but I want to get these level first. I was thinking of building a frame for the units to sit on, as it will be quite easy to screw in level frame into the floor, but it would be a faff and probably unnecessary.

Any tips or advice would be really appreciated as I feel like I have taken 6 steps back with the kitchen due to this issue.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

wind the inner legs up and level the 2 units using the outer feet if you’ve already screwed them together. Once levelled, bring the inner ones down to the floor.

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Exactly, do this

CGN likes this.
  4. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

Thanks, it sounds stupidly obvious now, but this is not how I was doing it :mad:

CGN likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don’t worry, it’s a mistake any idiot could make :D we’ve all been there.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, How to check your spirit level:
    Look at the vial and take a reading of the bubble's position. Rotate the level 180° side-to-side and align the level with your marks. Take a second reading. If the level is accurate, the bubble will be in the same position for both readings.
    When levelling a run of base cabinets, turn/spin the spirit level through 180° as you move onto the next cabinet, and keep repeating this until all the cabinets are aligned, this will negate any errors in the spirit level.

BiancoTheGiraffe and Kitfit like this.
  7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

a cheap laser makes this so easy. Get a load of little blocks and draw a line on them at the same height (or use lego blocks of different colours). Set them across the tops of the units back and front. Scan them all at the same time with a laser. Shows instantly where the highs and lows are.

8. MozzyMarr

MozzyMarr Member

Thanks, I do have a laser level and it it made the job of fitting the wall units so much easier, they are 100% level and they are probably the only thing in this 120 year old house that is. I don't have any Lego but I find something suitable.