Half or full tiles at rim of bath?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by fizzy2, Nov 17, 2021.

1. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Just planning the tile heights. It appears that I could go from the floor to ceiling with full tiles, but the bath rim would have half tiles on it OR I could have part tiles at the floor & ceiling with full tiles at the bath rim.
    What would be best please?

2. Jackie Young

Jackie Young New Member

Hi, I'm no builder/tiler but aesthetically I would have full tiles around bath rim

Hell68 likes this.
  3. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

That's exactly what I was thinking at the bath but wasn't sure it wall look worse all around the bottom & top of the wall.

Also, many youtube video's - wickes, B&Q etc, guide you to install a bath against a newly tiled wall. Is that normal???? I assumed that you'd tile on & around a bath AFTER installing it?

4. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

Definitely the whole tile on the bath. You won't notice the part tile by the ceiling or floor as your eye is always drawn to wheres closest. But I would measure again after you've installed the bath to make sure you won't end up with a ridiculously small length of tile elsewhere.

Install the bath and then tile. That's what my fitters/tilers did when I had mine done recently

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Have a look at James on plumberparts he has a good video on it.

fizzy2 likes this.
  6. Hell68

Hell68 Active Member

It's not me that needs to know. @fizzy2 might hopefully find it helpful though :)

I'm presuming it shows the bath installation first? Before tiling? Im no expert. Just a pretty competent diyer but logically, unless it's a free standing bath in the middle of the room, why would you waste expensive tiles on the wall or floor behind a bath?

7. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Thanks

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Fit the bath first, then set out full tiles off the bath providing you don't end up with slivers at the ceiling or floor, then crack on.

9. fizzy2

fizzy2 Guest

Sort of right but he removes the bath for ease of tiling. He's does something that I was actually thinking of doing myself on this video

So, he screws/glues battens on the walls that the bath butts up to, at the exact height to support the rim underside. You can use the bath for a practice run to make sure you get this right if you want (especially if you need to match pre-made side panel height), but remove the bath ready for tiling. You then place another spacer batten on top of the fixed battens at the correct thickness to reach where the top edge of the rim will be (circa 1-2"). If you put tile spacers on top of that loose batten, then tile, then remove the spacers, there's clearance to remove the loose batten. You can then slide the bath back into position (after tiling) with the underside of the rim sitting on the wall batten and the top of the rim just under the finished tiles. You can level the bath by using just the leg at the unsupported corner to get it level, then adjust the remaining legs to take out the slack and support the bath load on all legs. This way the rim is also supported along the whole tiled side by the batten, in addition to the legs.

The other way I was thinking is very similar (in terms of pre tiling at the correct level), but I was thinking of screwing an additional batten to the original batten (that comes pre-glued within the underside of the rim), then screw plywood (say 1/4 x 6") to the side of that additional wood so it sits just below & flush with the rim. You then have a large 'I' section that stops any bending of the rim, plus lots of plywood next to the wall glue & accessible screws, instead of the tiny 'L' brackets.

Doing either the above without the bath being in the way, makes things easier without the risk of bath damage.

10. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Full tile around bath. Not every ceiling or floor is absolutely level and so part tiles at floor and ceiling should work better. That's what I was told. Very much about what looks aesthetically pleasing. Centering tiles on walls and centering the fixtures.

fizzy2 likes this.