Paint for Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by OllyUK, Nov 20, 2021.

1. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Hi all

have a log cabin the I will be installing soon. It will be insulated and powered.

two sides will be agains another shed/fence and and looking for a resilient covering as once installed I won’t be able to access it again.

I was looking at a preservative coloured coat with a top coat but am unsure on what would be the best treatment combination any suggestions appreciated

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Primer preserver for wood. Solvent. Clear or with colour

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Take a look at using Dulux Trade Ultimate Opaque paint.

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

If you want a waterproof coating that doesn’t need topping up at some point if you’re really not going to have any access I’d be inclined to paint it with BlackJack. Bitumen paint. Anything else will probably need attention at some point in the cabin’s lifespan.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lashings of decking oil.

6. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Thanks for your suggestions may do Black Jack on fence side and one of the other suggestions against the other shed as it sticks out by 1ft.

next question is it best to paint the logs before assembling or every few rows of assembly

7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Used Sikens stuff here on top of clear preserver so 5 coats in all. Still looking fab after 4 years.

8. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Not always practical but in an ideal world you’d paint every surface of every piece before assembly. Depending on what you end up using it’s worth considering one of the cheaper HVLP sprayers. Both myself and a couple of colleagues have the cheap as chips Erbauer ones and they’re ideal for this sort of thing. (Not the blackjack though).

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I was at painting and decorating show this week and there was 30 year wood colours that would work.

Littlefair's was one company. I asked for you op.

IMG_20211123_111034_compress45.jpg

10. OllyUK

OllyUK Member

Thanks so much that’s really nice of you will look at it

Wayners likes this.