2 stroke multi tool won't start

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by danielz000, Nov 14, 2021.

1. danielz000

danielz000 New Member

Hi guys,

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get my multi tool working?

I last used it in August with a 40:1 fuel:eek:il mix. Everything was working fine. Roll forward 3 months and I can't get it going again.

I've tried the following:

1) Fresh fuel E5 with 2 stroke oil in it
    2) Cleaned the carb and replaced rubber gaskets
    3) Attempted to clean fuel cap (and tried to run with cap off)
    4) New spark plug - spark is visible but I've no idea if it's sparking enough...
    5) Starting with choke on/off and throttle open/closed

The motor sounds completely dead, occasionally I'll get a little pop or grumble out of it but that's.

Any suggestions on what else I can check/replace?

Cheers,

Dan

austinparker likes this.
  2. Creek

Creek Member

Check the timing. Have a look at a few videos on YouTube, probably best way to get an idea how to check it.

austinparker likes this.
  3. danielz000

danielz000 New Member

Cheers creek! I was thinking some sort of timing issue but I've no idea how it's set or adjusted. Just had a look on you tube and can't see anything either. Is it specific to this model or will instructions for any two stroke work?

Cheers

Dan

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A lot of these generic 2-stroke engines have a primer bulb and pick up/return pipe which perish easily (not familiar with this exact machine) so it might be worth giving them a thorough inspection. Any crack or split could affect the mixture and make it difficult to start. I have some machines which don't get used that frequently and this is a fairly regular issue unfortunately. I carry a handful of spare units nowadays - cheap as you like on eBay. I do drain the tanks and run them dry afterwards to clear out the carbs so I don't have issues with gumming up. I'm also using E5 like you. Good luck.

austinparker and Adamfya like this.
  5. Creek

Creek Member

Hi Dan
    Search for lawn mower or strimmer timing on YouTube. (all small engines use the same timing)
    (you are checking the flywheel has not moved out of position)

I would remove the GRD wire from the coil and see if it starts.

Then I would pour 5ml of petrol straight down the carb and see if it shows any sign of starting.

6. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Dont waste your time with this

7. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Or this...

8. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Youll need to understand the basic principles of a 2 stroke before you can attempt to get it running any sense....

9. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

You can drip a bit of fuel oil mix in the cylinder, put the plug back, and turn it over - if it runs for a few seconds, you can focus on poor fuel supply, poor priming etc... as its likely at least you are achieving combustion ok ish.

10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Only problem I’ve ever had with my two-stroke stuff is poor quality fuel line on a Titan hedge trimmer. It’s pennies on eBay so replace it all just to rule it out. Mine looked fine but clearly wasn’t.

Adamfya likes this.
  11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

It can be blocked fuel line, but also bad / dirty carburettor. It can be actually several different things. My petrol hedge trimmers and multi tools all stopped working this year, and needing to be worked on them. The prime suspect of the causes for the problems seem old fuel sitting in the fuel tank longer than allowed in my case, and then the fuel line blocks or the carburettors get dirty, I presume.

Another thing to try is to spray some 2 stroke engine starting spray cans around the engine and even into the air filter vent, and trying to start.

In my case in the past, even if they start after the engine start sprays, the engine stalls after a few minutes or when throttled for the cutting. Then maybe must look into timing or air filters ... it can be many different things.

12. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

It should not start and run on full choke, a couple of pulls and it should “pop” then start with the choke open.

13. danielz000

danielz000 New Member

Cheers all!

I've now tried a brand new carb on it, same problem.

I think I've got a compression test kit sitting around somewhere so I'll give that a try and if that seems ok I'll have to try what creek suggested (flywheel key I believe) unless anyone has any simpler things to check first...

Happy builder, yea I tried getting a pop from it (which was difficult), and then turning the choke off... Still no luck

14. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Right, start from scratch with the basics.
    When you last used it...did you shut it down?
    Or did it cut out of its own doing?

15. danielz000

danielz000 New Member

Hi Adamfya,

If I'm honest, I really can't remember. I THINK I switched it off though... I remember it was working fine for a period of time as I cut a load of bushes with it but whether I stopped because it failed or because I was finished I don't remember.

In terms of everything else... New e5 fuel, 40:1 two stroke oil, new spark plug, primer is moving fuel through the pipes with no problem and they don't appear to be blocked or melted, cleaned and refurbished original carb, tried new carb, checked for a spark by removing the spark plug and connecting to the engine block with a screwdriver, not sure what else I can check other than the compression and flywheel key (if it has one)...

One thing that is worth pointing out is the bush trimmer was fairly seized up... Maybe this knocked the timing out...

16. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Well you need to think harder on this as it will help diagnose the issue.
    As already stated, fuel pipe visual, isnt enough, it takes a minute hole to cause issues.
    Is fuel getting into pot?

17. The Happy Builder

Have you pulled the fuel filter out of the tank through the filler cap and cleaned or replaced it?

danielz000 likes this.
  18. The Happy Builder

If you take the exhaust off you should be able to see the piston and determine the condition of it.

danielz000 likes this.
  19. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Did you try the starter spray or petrol in the cylinder yet - as it this doesn't produce a few bangs, we know you aren't getting spark at the right time or no spark - rule that in or out first. If it try's to run using this method, its likely you have a fuel delivery issue not a spark or timing issue...

danielz000 likes this.
  20. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Wouldnt waste your time on this post anymore!