High winds caused house to get cold, but you will never guess why.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MGW, Nov 28, 2021.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Noted it was cold, so stopped in bed, in the end thought I must investigate.

So walked down stairs and hall thermostat said 16ºC warming to 18ºC which seemed strange, it should have warmed up by now, so put on shoes to look at boiler, seemed likely it has tripped out, but no boiler running, and not that cold outside so why was house so cold.

Then I remembered reading in local facebook EE mast damaged in high winds, and yes looked at phone and no signal.

Then it clicked, since no signal the geofencing thought I was not home so put heating into Eco mode, as I walked down stairs the built in PIR detected me and switched out of Eco mode, so when I looked it showed normal running.

I blame my wife of course, never my fault, had she acted when I sent her link and she had set up her phone which is not EE I would not be cold now.

austinparker and McSport like this.
  2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Just going to light our "St Greta Eco" Clearview woodburner.

I might use a few 'We want to fit your new smart meter' letters to get it started.

Modern technology, eh....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    BiancoTheGiraffe, Teki and seneca like this.
  3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The Fredy Boswell look alight who can turn the lights on/off by clapping hands is clearly in breach of advertising standards. And I would not want to turn on/off lights with simple loud noise.

4. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

So glad I stuck with wall thermostat and trvs. All trvs set to max, heating set to on 24/7 with thermostat at 19.5. KISS.

stevie22 likes this.
  5. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Reliability sacrificed on the alter of technology!

6. austinparker

austinparker New Member

I hope your wife isn't reading this :D

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Posting is because others may have the same problem, be it a discharged battery in phone or phone mast damaged, I have repeatedly switched ECO off, and many of the other functions. I wanted to control boiler from main house and the three core and earth had a open core, also changed colour from red, yellow, blue to brown, black, grey so better if an extra low voltage connection as no idea where the colours changed.

So two wires to power thermostat and control central heating and domestic hot water, Nest gen 3 could do that, plus also Energenie MiHome TRV's said they worked with Nest, seems Nest withdrew support when it became Google Nest, but only found that out after.

So really for me retired we don't really need geofencing, large three story house with 18 kW boiler (oil) to reheat house really needs to be in stages, kitchen, dinning room, living room, craft room and office, and finally bedrooms, so only 4 of the 9 electronic TRV heads are wifi, other 5 are only bluetooth, so never really bothered setting up geofencing on the TRV heads, just use simple time.

But the Nest defaulted as geofencing, never set it up.

8. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

That sounds to me the sort of thing my old mate Tony used to describe as a 'wee part'.

You rip it all out and it makes a 'weeeeeeee' sound as it flies into the bin.