Water hammer?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Peter White, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Peter White

Peter White New Member

In an East German hotel I noticed that the radiators had three-way thermostatic valves. A 'tube' with the thermostat at one end and connected to the radiator at the other. The hot water 15mm feed connected to the side of the tube and the water exit beside it.
    Presumably when the room heated up the hot water was diverted to the exit connection. Since the water flow was not interrupted this system might solve my water hammer problem.
    Is such a valve (3 needed) available in the UK (or the EU)?
    I would be glad to follow up this query *
    Thank you,
    Peter White

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2021
  2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If you have water hammer that is temporarily cured by adjusting the TRV, it's probably installed on the wrong side of the radiator. Some have an adjustment setting depending on whether it is installed on the flow or return side, older ones don't.

3. Peter White

Peter White New Member

Thank you Teki,
    The clunking noise only occurs when my bedroom radiator is the only one 'on' of the four radiators in my upstairs circuit. And then it only occurs when the Danfoss thermostat stops the feed to the radiator until the radiator and the room cools down and the thermostat kicks in again. I cannt tell exactly where the clunking is occurring. (The valve with its thermostat is mounted at the feed end of the radiator and is correctly oriented).
    I was a plant engineer for 20 years - boilers, process steam generation and applications, etc. I have replaced the valve and thermostat without success. It may be some form of resonance(?) in the pipework. I think the only way to stop the clunking is to ensure that the flow through the pipework is not stopped/blocked, hence my thoughts about the three-way East German valves!
    Peter

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Does your boiler have an automatic bypass valve or is there an external one fitted?

5. Peter White

Peter White New Member

There is an external bypass valve but this has had to be disabled because otherwise it would disable both my upstairs and downstairs circuits. It would not be feasible to fit such a valve upstairs because I rely on a thermo-syphon hot water circuit between the upstairs and downstairs circuits - complicated I know but very effective.
    My 2021 trip to Leipzig was cancelled with Covid and I am re-booked for 2022....