Width of a road onto a private estate

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by collectors, Dec 4, 2021.

1. collectors

collectors Member

Hi, we have a neighbour with a private road to 5 houses. He has purchased some extra land & has put in for planning for anther 3 property's. Now there is lots of local objections with also a letter from the highways agency that the private road should be a minimum of 4.5met solid roadway to allow cars to pass. In a few places on this road it is only 4.9met total width from a 6' fence on one side to a 50cm garden wall the other. The concrete road at the moment is only 4met wide.
    My question is, should there be a certain width of verge either side, IE: 50cm, if so there would not be enough room for the road as it would equal 5.5 met in a gap of 4.9 met. Any thoughts

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Unless highways ask for a verge too then no

3. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, entire 'estate' build like this NO pavements, rather murderous when walking with a pushchair or pram ..... see attached.

I had issues when new housing was proposed locally. Approached local council, and obtained a copy of their highway building requirements. Discovered that the new proposed road had too tight a bend for dustbin lorries etc to negotiate. The housing association had to rethink their development plans (reducing the number of houses to be built).

Attached Files:

4. collectors

collectors Member

Hi, thanks for the info Tricky. Sorry i didn't get back sooner, but i didn't get any notifications.

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  5. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, absolutely fine, Wishing you a Prosperous and Happy New Year. Keep safe in these troubled times.

6. James Gardner

James Gardner New Member

The attached snip from the Department for Transport's Manual for Streets may be helpful in giving you an idea of carriageway widths. The council may well have their own policies regarding how wide a road needs to be to serve 8 houses.

Attached Files: