Skim coat needed? Or just paint/paper over plasterboard

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Newtoallthis22, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Newtoallthis22

Newtoallthis22 New Member

Just bought a house which is in need of decorating. We stripped off some paper in the living room and one sheet pulled off, and can see the plasterboard paper layer so don't want to remove anymore. It looks like there was 2 layers of lining paper that were just painted.

Can this be covered with wallpaper or lining paper and painted again? Or will it need to be skim coated, it's a taped and jointed wall afaik.

IMG_20211214_115223__01.jpg totally new to this so just seeing where to start as don't want to make it worse.

IMG_20211214_115223__01.jpg

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You have removed the plasterboard finishing paper as well, you should have gone no further than the blue emulsion paint finish which is the painted finish under the woodchip paper.

3. Newtoallthis22

Yeah it was a steam powered stripper, went a bit OTT on it. Won't be doing that again. Any ideas what would be the best way to cover or repair it?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser Gardz to seal the damaged plasterboard, let dry as per instructions, sand smooth then use a couple of coats of Easifill to skim it back to flat, sand again to achieve a flat surface, dust off and seal again with the Gardz. Remember the finish is only as good as what's underneath......or get it skimmed professionally.

Newtoallthis22 likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Can you scrape dry woodchips off. Peel dry then dampen down and get backing paper off?
    Then Gardz surface fill and make good..
    That's one way. Steamer will do terrible damage so best get off what you can dry first

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As @Wayners has mentioned dry stripping woodchip is the way forward, after stripping off the surface using a scraper such as the No Nonsense long handled scraper 87299 or the heavy duty scraper 16530 wet the remaining with warm soapy water, let soak and hand strip.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The above numbers are Screwfix stock reference.

8. Newtoallthis22

Then just paint it? Or wallpaper. Am open to either, whichever is easier given what I have to work with

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If you paper over, it is going to be worse for next round of decorating or you not bothered.
    Scrape off wood chips and put super fresco heavy paper on with beeline ready mixed with the pva added vs doing it properly. Not going to be your problem as long gone?
    Not sure how it will hold up or look but is that what your asking?

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never use the word 'just' ;), your preparation level will dictate the finish you wish to achieve, if it were my wall following the repair to the damaged area I would sand the whole wall to get it smooth and clean, size it and let dry then line it with 1000 grade quality lining paper to disguise and even out the difference in textures between the repair and the original finish so blinding the whole wall ready for emulsion paint. Be it wallpaper or paint that is your choice. If you paint the walls they will need washing with sugar soap to remove any residual paste from them. As a bonus a coat of Gardz all over the walls will act to seal the paste in ready for emulsion to be painted over.

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Other option is board over and skim.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

After the repairs have been done a really good liner to use is WallRock Fibreliner 180 Plus which once hung gives the appearance of a newly plastered wall as it has a strong and very fine finish to it.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lot more work with that @Wayners....storage heater will need bringing forward as will the electricity supply fittings, skirting and maybe architrave/cove etc not shown in the pictures.

Wayners likes this.
  14. Johnpg

Johnpg Active Member

This exact thing happened to me in the house I just bought last week. Sanded down, filled with Zinsser 123, filled with Toupret, sanded again, Zinsser again, painted, all good.

15. Newtoallthis22

The bedroom wall is basically the same but small patches instead of the bigger section on the living room so will start with those and see how it turns out before trying it on a bigger scale. Thanks for the tip

16. Newtoallthis22

To add extra fun, the bedroom has this layer of awful brown lining paper or vinyl or something that .just have been put on decades ago. It's impossible to get off, can this be primed and pained over? I got some zinsser so put it on a few of the bare plasterboard paper segments to test, will see how it turns out IMG_20220105_141828__01__01.jpg

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you talking about the woodgrain paper....is it paper or a decorative wallboard?

Don't attempt to remove it if it's in a sound condition, when the wall is cleaned up paint over it with Zinsser Bullseye 123 Plus as this will blind it out and provide a base for the chosen emulsion. Before painting the wall give it a good wash with Sugar Soap then rinse off with clean water.

18. Newtoallthis22

It's paper, you can peel bits of it, great if I can cover it and don't have to spend a crazy amount of time picking at it then happy days. I have zinsser BIN so will that do?

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

123 Plus is superior if it is a vinyl paper or another Zinsser product called Wallpaper Cover Up as it has high obliteration qualities.

20. davidnb

davidnb Member

I had a bedroom like this. I was quite content to purchase a heavy duty textured paper. I just went for one with vertical lines that didn't need to be matched. Took my time with papering, sealing some areas with pva first. One the papering was done, I emulsions the walls. Turned out great.