Best tile cutter for metro tiles?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by furious_customer, Mar 9, 2022.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

I am going to tile the kitchen soon and looking for a recommendation for a tile cutter that will do a good job of cutting the tiles.

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Do you yeally want Metro tiles? Or have you been "instructed".

The chamfer makes finishing them or cuts around sockets and switches awful to do and they never look nice in my opinion. They remind my of either the London Underground or the undergound public toilets.

3. furious_customer

would also consider the non-bevelled type - are they still called metro tiles?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

To me, Metro means the bevelled style. Otherwise they are just a standard 20x10 flat!

furious_customer likes this.
  5. furious_customer

Ah ok, then it may well be these that we go for!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Never had a problem with cutting the Metro tiles, used a Plas Plugs electric tile cutter also a conventional tile cutter similar to the Vitrex (37944 Screwfix).

7. furious_customer

I have tried the 37944 before and it was very hit and miss - just shattered some of the tiles.
    Think I chucked it in a skip in the end.

8. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

Its all about the quality of the blade doing the cutting rather than the machine itself.
    On small tiles like metros I use a £30 wet cutter with a Marcrist blade that cost twice as much, no chips.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Got mine from a skip, great piece of kit! :D

10. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

I got talked out of Metro Tiles on here even though I like a good Public Convenience.

I ended up using the same Format but without the Bevel from Wickes.
    Cheapish Vitrex Cutter (Wickes) and a Disk on my Angle Grinder for rounded corners and complex cuts around Sockets.

Have seen some Metro Tile displays with External Corners and the Bevels look rubbish.
    Probably OK if you are just doing a single Wall Splashback. Or maybe if you they are all in line rather than the usual brick/offset pattern.