cam lock screw to fit bed frame

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by uk0110, Apr 9, 2022.

1. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Attached Files:

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

I believe it’s called a cam dowel. Usually used in flat pack furniture. Good luck.

3. DIYonly

DIYonly New Member

If you are having trouble finding one, drop me a pm with your address and I will post you one. (I always seem to have bits left over from flat pack DIY !)
    If you are replacing one of these, you may need to use epoxy in the screw hole if it has been worn or damaged.

uk0110 likes this.
  4. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Many thanks for your reply. Since 2 days trying for the screws but no luck. It would be great help if you could post me. Will pm my address.

5. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Thank you.

6. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Uploaded 2 more photos with the screws required. Tried all DIY stores but can't find it.

Attached Files:

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There's no PM facility I'm afraid folks and although it's entirely up to you I wouldn't recommend giving out your contact details.

8. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Please see the set of screws which needs to fix the side panel of the bed. If I get 2 set of screws then the bed frame can be fixed.Thanks

Attached Files:

9. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Ok,Thanks

10. DIYonly

DIYonly New Member

Ahh--then there's a problem! Sorry.
    If pm is not possible...Any work round???

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

These aren't the 'usual' cam dowel fixings supplied with flat pack furniture - in fact, there's no cam, its a dowel with a grub screw fixing

These are the 'usual / common' type cam dowels;

https://www.diydirect.com/flat-pack-furniture-kit-with-dowels-nuts-m6-x-41mm-10-of-each-piece

I've put together a fair amount of flat pack furniture, from various manufacturers but not seen this type of fixing before
    Whilst flat pack fixings can vary amongst brands, many overlap and are fairly generic type fixings and are easily available as spares from either original supplier or online shops (as above)

Sometimes, manufacturers like to re-invent the wheel for no apparent reason and come up with their own, unique fixing that will do the same job as several other fixings more commonly used. This is all fine and well until you need to obtain a spare, then its not always so easy to obtain (Ikea are excellent with spare parts, as an aside)

I'm guessing that you've tried both Argos and Schreiber but with no success ?

Post a picture of the issue with the bed frame and explain what's broken

Often there's a way round to fix these issues, even without the correct parts. After all, the dowel and grub screw will just be holding 2 parts together and there's always other methods to achieve this

candoabitofmoststuff and uk0110 like this.
  12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Agree with Dave above - this is not a cam dowel and not seen one before.

DIYDave. likes this.
  13. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Advertise some fictional item on gumtree and the OP can PM you there.
    Or, if you use Yahoo mail, you can create disposable email addresses that you can share on here and then delete it once you are done with it.

14. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Thank you for the reply . I have contacted Homebase where I bought the bed and they offered resolution of £30 and asked me to find and replace the screw as they don’t stock the item and it is dis continued but unfortunately I can’t find it any where . The only option left is to recycle the bed and buy a new one which is a pain. My worry is just for 2 replacement screws throwing the entire oak wood bed to the bin .

15. uk0110

uk0110 Member

The photos attached. The bolts used to fit the side panel to the right side of the bed. The bolts inserted straight between the hole on the right bed leg and the side panel hole then the side panel has got small two holes to put the tiny screws to tighten.

Attached Files:

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Bit confused by you mentioning Homebase as the link in your initial post shows the supplier as Argos, with the manufacturer as Schreiber

That would make sense as Sainsbury now owns Argos - don't understand where H Base comes into this ?

Depending how much diy experience you have, there's gotta be a workaround, as I said in above post, doesn't matter how fancy or over-engineered the fittings are, they're just holding 1 bit to another in essence
    Ok, these type fittings are hidden from view so I'm not suggesting driving screws through the outside of the bed frame which wouldn't look great, but, there's a whole host of fittings available that will take some tweaking to facilitate, but, better than scraping the bed

https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-assembly-joint-x-10-pack/25399

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stretcher-plates-zinc-plated-38-x-28-x-25mm-10-pack/12920#_=p

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cross-dowels-m6-x-16mm-50-pack/67762

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cross-dowel-bolt-m6-x-50mm-50-pack/78664

https://www.screwfix.com/p/corner-braces-zinc-plated-77-x-77-x-16-5mm-10-pack/12488

Simple timber batten;

upload_2022-4-11_18-50-26.jpeg upload_2022-4-11_18-50-26.jpeg

Without being there, cant say for sure what's best from the above selection but there will be a more than adequate way for repairing this bed with either item/s from the above list or other similar fittings easily available - just needs a little thinking outside the box

uk0110 likes this.
  17. uk0110

uk0110 Member

Many thanks Dave. Will give a try. I copied the Argos link as I can't find the bed in the Homebase site. I believe Homebase is also part of Sainsbury now. Hence selling items from the same manufacturers.

18. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Homebase USED to be called Sainsburies Homebase a long time ago (15-20 yrs?), but they were sold off in the early 2000's to another company.

Back to your problem - that type of fixing is used in some industrial Aluminium extrusion connections - looks like they tried to borrow that technology from the internals of the KANYA extrusion system, which inside their connectors is hidden a similar tappered hole and pointed grub screw arrangement that pulls the two elements together. Not that this info helps you much :(

Id recommend buying some brackets, timber and screws and repairing the frame by other means, I don't expect you'll find those fixings on the shelf anywhere - but worth trying to find that actual manufacturer and PN, as it may be fruitful eventually!

Attached Files: