Broken brick from drilling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by James Fez, May 12, 2022.

1. James Fez

James Fez New Member

Hi,

I had an electrician install an exterior light today. He drilled from the inside to out and has damaged the brickwork. He seemed to suggest this was expected / almost par for the course. Is there a simple way to repair this with filler or will it need replacing completely?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tinkerbell60

tinkerbell60 Member

Looking at the cable he has run, you should get him back to replace the cable with one suitable for external use, whilst he is there he can repair the damage he has done to you property. Very poor workmanship.

Ind spark likes this.
  3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What a cowboy! You expect some breakout, but not that much. He probably had his SDS drill on full power and pushed through. A smaller 6mm masonry bit would have left a cleaner hole especially on what look to be reasonable bricks - not too hard and then drill back the other way.

The only solution - looking at teh top left too where teh whole brick has moved, is replacement

4. James Fez

James Fez New Member

That bad huh? What would be the suggested repair? And how can I tell it's not fit for exterior use?

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

If you still have the pieces you could try gluing them back in place, but it is certainly sign of a real amateur, definitely not a good tradesperson at all. I would deduct a chunk off his bill because he has damaged your property through ignorance.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It's standard twin and earth cable, not UV rated, but there's probably millions of properties using it for outside work :rolleyes:

7. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

The incompetent clown has also angled the cable downwards so any rainwater will run back inside the hole. This lack of workmanship is also a worry, because if that's how leaves work that is on show, how much lower are his standards where his work can't be seen? What was the job he was doing?

8. James Fez

James Fez New Member

Just reconnecting an exterior light that had been disconnected to fit an EV charger. I'm getting a bricklayer to come tomorrow to repair so hopefully he'll do a better job.....

9. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Must have been a genuine spark because he didn’t clean up afterwards.

gadget man, rogerk101 and Sparkielev like this.
  10. James Fez

James Fez New Member

I spoke to the guy who done the job and he is adamant you can't avoid any kind of damage and that "other tradesmen just **** off each other".

11. James Fez

James Fez New Member

Is the fact this is angled down going to cause me longer term issues? He did make a point of saying he had siliconed so it is waterproof.

12. FlyByNight

A 25-30mm 5mm deep break out - yes. Half a brick face missing and the brick loosened, which you can see top left - NO WAY.

Abbadon2001 and Sparkielev like this.
  13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

If I have to drill from inside out, I use a 8mm bit, and take the hammer action off for the last bit, even if it takes an extra 15 minutes to break through, nice clean hole, ready to enlarge from outside in:cool:

14. chesterw

Absolute rubbish, the problem with these incompetents is they have no understanding of how to do things properly, and it's pointless discussing anything with them

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A bit harsh possibly:), most sparks wouldn't undertake a quick outside light etc, due to costing implications, if they do, it's because they fit it in as an 'on the way home job', a filler, so they probably wouldn't take as much care, wrong I know, but reality :cool:

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Rough as a badgers backside, should of fitted a Wiska box over the damaged brick and fitted the light from that, mind that's a big chunk of brick missing so be difficult to cover it, it still should have a ip rated box though to hide any cable coming out of the wall

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  17. chesterw

Not harsh at all, you've described what he should have done, and if I employed you to do similar thing you would do it properly, not bodge it just because its "on the way home job".

But the worst part of it is, 90% of electrical work is hidden ie you trust the spark to do things properly, but if the guy openly bodges visible things how can anyone have any faith in his hidden work - this bloke should not be doing electrical work.

18. dray

dray Screwfix Select

I think if that was me I would investigate the look of the wiska box suggested above, properly sealed and hiding most of the damage. Always potential for more upset with different brickwork bed colour when replaced, and the brickie may still need to do something with the wire to cut the brick out and replace. Hope you get it sorted

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Read last year that electric cables through exterior brickwork had to be placed in a metal sleeve to protect the cables from any possibly shear, true or false?

20. FlyByNight

Don't start that argument again ... I will tend to sleeve the hole with something suitable/available. Another member here said it should be conduit and that identical (except exact diameter) water pipewas not acceptable.