Toilet Cistern Side Fill advice please weeping joint, weeping son.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JohnBeeTee, May 21, 2022.

1. JohnBeeTee

JohnBeeTee New Member

So, I'm trying to help my aged mother out. I've done tons of little jobs like this in the past, but this one is a pain. The 47 year old valve in her en-suite toilet has been dripping for a bit, and she finally alerted me to the streak of green on her wall outside. I should have taken some pictures, but the access is awful. The cistern is a little tank behind a tongue and groove wall which you can only access from the top. We'd have to destroy the bathroom to get better access.

I managed to get the old one out, although I had to saw through the inlet pipe, you can only turn a spanner half a flat... Local builders merchant only had a cheap all plastic valve, which was awful and bits would just fall off it. I have no confidence in the tiny push through rivets holding the whole thing together either. I can't use the ones which work vertically because the flush handle is very close to the side entry point, so it has to be an arm with ball cock on the end.

I couldn't stop the connection between the pipe and the new plastic valve from weeping ever so slightly. Just moistening a tissue type weep, but a weep none the less. It's very very hard to do up tight in there, but I'm sure it's tight enough, I know that they can be overtightened. So tomorrow I'm off to get one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-brass-part-1-float-valve/913fy , but...

Should there be any kind of washer between the feed pipe and the valve? If it's an olive then I may put a wrap of ptfe around it, because trying to get a new olive in there is going to be murder, but should there be a fibre washer or something? I'd love to get it all done in one trip. Pic of old one attached. It's done well.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. JohnBeeTee

JohnBeeTee New Member

To add, (I know I should have taken pictures, but I'm home now..) It wasn't definitely a tap connector, I've seen plenty of those. It's all soldered joints in there, right up to the the nut for the valve. I should have tried to pull the nut right back to look, but I want to hopefully get what I need before going back to hers in the morning.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

A tap connector would have a washer between it and the valve tail. If the supply pipe connects directly to the valve there may be an olive ,but the valve would need to be suitable for such a union ,some are not.

4. JohnBeeTee

JohnBeeTee New Member

Thank you. Do screwfix do one which works with an olive? Googling around it seems that's pretty rare, so I'm wondering if there was a fibre washer, was that normal in 1974? It was probably still stuck on the bit that fell into oblivion when I finally managed to saw through the old one. Or it's mushed in the nut. So in the interests of getting everything in one trip in the morning is it this one. There's several 1/2" fibre washers listed.. https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-products-prestex-tap-connector-washers-5-pack/1109j

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Those are indeed the washers for tap connectors. Older brass valves were suitable for olive connection ,not too sure about now though.

6. JohnBeeTee

JohnBeeTee New Member

Thanks Terry, that's brilliant, I'll be one of those annoying people waiting at the doors at 9:01 tomorrow so apologies to the poor Sunday morning people at my local branch.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Where is your local branch ? You can check their stock.

8. JohnBeeTee

JohnBeeTee New Member

Already on it and setting up the click and collect. All in stock. It's North Walsham, they're decent people in there. Just hope it goes together smoothly I've got soo much to do tomorrow and I'm really hoping to get time for at least one pint in.

terrymac likes this.
  9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If it turns out that the supply pipe does have a tap connector soldered on ,the fibre washer usually gets lodged in the nut. All traces of it need to be removed before fitting a new fibre washer.
    Good luck.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  10. JohnBeeTee

JohnBeeTee New Member

I have some good picks. The access is just horrible to do anything. One day we'll be moving into that house and a very very early job will be re doing this bathroom. At least when we rip out all the tongue and groove out I'll be able to get my spanner back....

terrymac likes this.
  11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Ha ha ha