Refurbishing HiFi speakers

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Offshore, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Good morning,

I have a decent set of floor standing HiFi speakers that I would like to start using again - they are currently in the spare/junk room and have been passed over in favour of a Sonos system in recent years. We now have a bit more room in the house and I would love to get them and my turntable back out and start enjoying my vinyl collection again. The "problem" is that the current finish doesn't necessarily fit with the decor of any of the rooms. This is a bit of a deal breaker for Mrs Offshore at the moment but she is open to the option of having them recoloured to suit. The current finish is a kind of orangey/oak veneer and I would be looking to change them to a more grey/limed oak type finish. Alternatively, I would consider painting them to a grey(ish) colour. I even thought about approaching one of these companies that wrap kitchen doors with vinyl. Any suggestions or advice on the best way of doing this?

Cheers for any input.

2. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Does Mrs Offshore have an orangey or oak type finish?

3. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Eh?

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

to avoid permanent damage could you not use self stick coloured plastic on a roll avoiding the actual speakers or any "vents " for sound

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Bit personal ............ but I think I get what you mean ........ I did laugh... (my neighbours daughter came to mind, looks like she gets sprayed with creosote, Lol).

To the Op. If the cabinets are in good nick then a wrap would possibly look better than paint I think.

6. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

A lot really depends on the composition of the speaker cabinets themselves.

If they are made of plywood, then it may be possible to sand off the existing finish, down to bare wood, which you can then stain and finish as desired. Obviously, you'll need to be careful not to sand through the veneer. But it can be done. If they are made of laminate covered particle board, then sanding and re-staining is not going to be practical. The only option would then be applying paint to achieve the desired colour and finish.

Veneer can be sanded and refinished. Laminate cannot.

I will note: Very few speaker cabinets are today made from re-stainable plywood. Laminate-covered particle board (or MDF) is by far the most common.

It's unlikely that applying paint to the speakers is going to alter or impair the sonic performance of the speakers. As long as you remove and/or mask components you don't want paint on, then the speakers should work just fine.

7. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks for the (sensible) replies, sounds like vinyl wrap might be the way to go.

Cheers

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Carefully remove the workers
    The other option is to paint them a neutral colour. Easily diyable if you take your time. I would carefully remove the drivers, then prep as you would for any wooden box.

Don’t over think it

Offshore likes this.