Optima XM House Alarm Panel

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rossm, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Rossm

Rossm Member

Hi guys, looking for some help.

I’ve got an Optima XM panel where the keypad is completely unresponsive. I’ve had a look at the battery, and is knackered so I am replacing a new one tomorrow.

Has anyone any ideas what’s causing this and how to sort?

Could the fault battery be part of this issue?

Thanks

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Yep, a knackered battery can drag the system voltage down causing various issues such as a non responsive keypad.

3. Rossm

Rossm Member

Thanks.

Do u suggest I power the unit down, replace battery, and power up again?

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You can do it without powering it down, just be aware that taking the main panel lid off will/should cause a tamper alarm, and if the keypad isn't responding you will struggle to shut it up, also there are mains voltages present so take care. Unfortunately it's a suck it and see scenario until you've changed the battery.
    It may not even be the battery causing the issues, but it's the first thing to try, especially if it hasn't been changed recently.
    Normally we would use an engineer code to allow work etc without causing tamper faults etc, but that requires a working keypad, and the engineers code.

sparky steve likes this.
  5. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

No. If you power the unit down, then the external sounder will (should) make a noise for 20 minutes or more.

6. Rossm

Rossm Member

I replaced the battery and the keypad started working again so problem solved. Thanks for your help