Door hinge question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dax42, Sep 27, 2022.

1. dax42

dax42 New Member

Hi all,

I have a door that isn't closing properly and I wanted to try and adjust the hinge. However, I don't know how to take the pin out of this particular hinge. It says Eurospec certifire CF339 on the hinge, picture attached. Is it one of those where you can't remove the hinge, or what's the trick? There's no hole in the bottom.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Not sure about this particular hinge but unless there’s something special about it, looks like a standard fire rated hinge to me. In which case adjustment comes in how deep or shallow it sits in the frame/door and how close to the edge of the frame/door.
    If you post a pic of the door closed (almost closed) might be able to advise. Has it just stopped closing or been like this a while. Could be the door swollen or the hinges dropped

3. dax42

dax42 New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. We just moved in, so not sure how long it has been like this. The door closes but then opens again very easily, as the latch doesn't catch properly. You can see in the picture that the gap in the middle of the door is large (hence it doesn't shut properly), but the gap at the top and bottom is small. So maybe the whole door is just bent, but I was hoping to try some adjustments first.

So when you talk about adjusting the way the door sits, it would mean adjusting how far the screws are in, right?

Attached Files:

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I don't think hinge adjustments will solve the problem, it looks like the door is warped or twisted, so it's not going into the frame parallel.

5. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Yeah if it’s meeting at the top and bottom, then it’s bowed out in the middle, assuming it’s not the door stop that’s bowed.
    Only remedy would be to move the door stop back a bit

dax42 likes this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Stanley knife both sides of the door stop to break the paint seal at the bottom then using a hammer and block of wood give it a good whumpf and it should shift back a couple of mm. Pin it in its new position then touch up the paintwork back to new.

Rosso, dax42 and Resmond like this.
  7. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Or move the catch forward a little, hopefully as a temporary measure.....

dax42 likes this.
  8. Resmond

Resmond Active Member

Ha yeah you got me, that is also a potential option. What Jord described would be my go to, quick n simple, also no chiselling required for the OP

9. dax42

dax42 New Member

Great, thanks for all the replies, I will try moving the door stop!