Rotten base of stud wall - how to fix?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Weetabix, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Hi - took the skirting board off the kitchen at the weekend - horrified to discover that the lath and plaster wall *holding up the stairs* is rotten all along the bottom.

How can I fix this?
    Remove the plaster and 'sister' the studs with the new ones sitting on a dpm?
    Impossible to slide in a new base plate along the bottom though without the risk of creating movement?

Any ideas welcome - thanks

Attached Files:

2. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Remove plaster & laths across the wall to a line thats about level with the bottom of the rad bracket.
    Remove all that plaster gunk in the stud bays on top of the bottom noggins.
    Then step back & show a context photo for the whole wall partition left to right.
    Whats on the other side/surface of the partition?
    Why the damaged plaster patch behind the rad?

I assume the green sheet is a DPM?
    There are screwed down floor panels of some kind - has the DPM been spread just below the panels?
    The panels show damp signs - but from what or where?

3. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Hi- @qwas123 - thanks for getting back.
    I'm a little uneasy about removing any thing else from the bays, as since opening this up, the stairs have moved 3mm downwards, although I'm aware I'm going to have to do this if it's possible to salvage it with sistering? I just want a clear plan of action before I go in an create any more movement.

To answer your questions:
    On the other side of the stud wall are the stairs - see photo before I removed the wallpaper - eventually these walls and stairs are going to have to come out because - as you can see - it's a fkin dog's dinner under there and all needs to be replaced with new stairs sitting on a concrete slab (this time on a dpm!) or a continuation of the suspended floors either side - to be discussed at a later date.
    Right now - I just need to get this stable.

The hole in the wall is from where the plumber installed the rad.
    Yes - the green sheet is the DPM and has been spread under the entire kitchen.
    The area we're looking at usually has a cat food bowl and water bowl - that's what the marks are - there's nothing coming up from underneath.

So any ideas of how I can fix this? I'm not expecting the studs to be damp any further up than the bottom line of the rad bracket.....

Attached Files:

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If your stairs have dropped it's time to get a couple of Acro props in for support and to lift them back into position. You will then need to remove the lath and plaster on both sides until you have passed the rotten point. One by one, cut off the rotten and sister in a new piece of wood, after treating it to prevent a recurrence. You can then remove the props and check your height on the stairs, if it is still low, lift with the props and re adjust on the sistering.

Weetabix likes this.
  5. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Thanks @Bob Rathbone - how do I sister?
    Do I get a piece of timber the same thickness and screw it securely next to the original?
    Do I need to sister on both side or just one side?
    What screws?

Sorry - complete newbie - thanks

6. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

OP, your not understanding what i'm saying to you.

Removing the dollops of plaster thats lumped between the studs will show whats happened.
    Until its exposed & you know what happened you cant do a proper repair. Nothing will move or drop.
    No bottom plate can be seen - maybe its below floor level?

How do you know your stairs have dropped 3mm?
    Do the stairs feel unsafe when used?

On the face of it , it appears rising damp has rotted the lower woodwork?

On the evidence of your photos, the whole shebang - stairs & spandrel walls should be replaced as soon as possible.

If the DPM is simply under the boards its wrong, screws can be seen going down & piercing any DPM - the DPM should be under the concrete slab.

7. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

Hi @qwas123 - the bottom plate can just be seen - it's rotten almost completely away over 150 years of sitting on a flagstone directly sat on clay.
    That is the problem and yes it all gas to be replaced, but I can't afford this until the new year so in the meantime - I need a quick fix like @Bob Rathbone has suggested.
    I just need a few more details on how to go about this.

Good point regarding the DPM under the boards...*sigh*

8. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Thats not the bottom plate - thats noggins as i mentioned in my first reply.
    I'll leave you to it now but think - you cannot do anything, even on a temporary basis including sistering, until you can see whats there and what you have to do.

9. Weetabix

Weetabix Member

OK - thanks @qwas123 - are you able to help me with the queries I had on how to sister?