Skimmed ceiling with multifinish coming loose after dried

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by otto.uk, Nov 27, 2022.

1. otto.uk

otto.uk Member

Hi all,

Our rooms haven't been decorated for over 20 years. The ceiling has raised bulges lines from wall to wall. They are raised and don't move when pushed on. I believe they are just the seams between the drywall panels from a not perfect level joint.

The ceiling was painted a few months ago without any issues. However the lines became even more visible.

I pva the ceiling and applied 2 coats of Multifinish and once dried I noticed a bubble of approx 10mm in diameter. I pressed it and it broke, then touching the area I noticed it was hollow and easily came off. No paint stuck on the back of plaster. The paint was intact.

I skimmed the bathroom ceiling same way without any issues.

What causes this?
    IMG_20221127_172010.jpg IMG_20221127_125019.jpg
    Thanks in advance

2. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Your skim finish didn't take - neither, it seems, did your splashes of Pva?
    FWIW: brush on 50:50 Pva in one direction - allow to dry - brush on in a cross direction more Pva - set to skimming when the Pva is tacky.

Did you trowel on your second coat of multi after a short wait or after some time?

When you meet bulged lines etc it might be worth screwing and taping before any Pva & skimming?

You've now got three options:
    1. go over it again.
    2. remove all the multi finish and try again.
    3. board over and do it again.

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No:3 sounds the best long term solution.

4. otto.uk

otto.uk Member

Thanks. I pva in one direction and started skimming when it was tacky but some areas started to dry because I'm slow and the ceiling is 3x4. Second coat was after short wait.

In the end I've gone with option 2. I've removed the skimmed layer and I'll give the ceiling a good clean and pva before trying it again.

Cheers

5. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

If you read the pva instructions, it’s 2 coats of pva diluted to different ratios, the first coat allowed to dry then skim whilst the second coat is still tacky.
    Just saying ;)

7. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Actually, your not saying anything - unfortunately, as usual, you are repeating whats already been said.

Theres a forum on here for people who are obsessed with tying shoe laces while repeating "just saying" - I'm sure that you would thoroughly enjoy the challenge.
    They also have a collection of instructions from bottles & cans etc - now there's another challenge for you.

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

No, I’m saying follow the manufacturer’s instructions, you on the other hand are giving out misinformation as usual.
    Just saying :D;)

arrow, stevie22 and Astramax like this.
  9. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

50:50 diluted pva what brand says that ?

10. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Hard experience in the trades, and every plasterer or college instructor I've learned from brand says that.

Theres nothing wrong with you dabbling and googling while pretending to be a brickie but give the shoe lace tying a go its really more your level - you will benefit from the equal playing field you find there.

You seem to have got upset & emotional me mentioning your labelling activities - what particular brand of tired & hysterical have you been labelled with?

11. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Post #5, So you would like to wait 24 hrs after spreading blue grit before plastering a ceiling?

12. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

So yet again deflecting from justifying your answer by criticising the poster and being sarcastic, exactly what you called another poster out for.
    And still waiting for you to justify 50/50 pva by stating a manufacturer, so I can read the product data sheet
    Oh and why is it you fail miserably on all but the most basic of diy questions, just curious ;)

13. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Blooming hypocrite, questioning if someone else would follow manufacturer instructions whilst blatantly ignoring it in your own “ advice” :eek:

arrow likes this.
  14. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

You really need to stop giving out misinformation and advice on bodging across the forums qwas. Some people might innocently take the advice and end up in a mess, costing them money to put it right.

15. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

So now we have both of you talking ducking and diving nonsense.
    And worse, you are both too tired from googling to even benefit from from the free professional advice I'm giving you both.
    You are both jealous that people are benefiting from my posts - a bit sad.
    Buck up and enjoy my posts, and you will feel so much better, & be better informed about the building trades.
    The real world of work not the imagination of fantasy.

What do you two do when your not on here 24/7? When did you last have jobs?

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Pass the popcorn please.

gadget man and CGN like this.
  17. Cris 11

Cris 11 Active Member

Handbags are out, something I have learned over the years and it applies to life as well.

There are many wrong ways and many right ways of doing anything just because someone chooses to do things the way they always have doesn't necessarily mean its any better or worse than another way of doing the same thing.

18. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Simple really isn’t it ? Instead of spitting dummy out post a photo of a tub of pva with those dilution ratios in the manufacturer’s instructions, or just post the brand name md I’ll happily post a photo for you with an apology, of course you won’t because you can’t, you’ll just continue to post nonsense and have a tantrum when someone disagrees or calls you out. I take some comfort that, like each previous one, the impending house building crash will clean out the stables of the chancers and bodgers, so best wishes in your new career :)

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Makes a change from us sparkies having a go :D

Rulland, Astramax and CGN like this.
  20. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Oh, Abrickie, you still on here? Thank goodness.
    I bet your mum will be pleased - she thought you were in prison.

Gee Whizz, do you know - I had never linked paint dilution ratios with the housing crash. The witches.

Tomorrow, when I'm back on site: first thing will be to tell the spreads about dilution ratios.

Note: "site" means a building site. Just saying.