Qualifying as an electrician in Scotland?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fiscalconservative, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Any responsible spark wouldn't take the chance, and ensure it stayed within the trade.

How do you think it works with Gassafe? They don't have this carp!

Ind spark and bright_Spark like this.
  2. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

The JIB check your status and ensure only qualified electricians obtain the Gold JIB card. You cannot get one without sending in all of your qualifications and they must be the original copies, Thats how it works.

Ind spark likes this.
  3. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

Sparks want a change that will improve things but we don't want or need a change that will just help the cowboys.
    The only way I can think to sort it out would be as you say scrap the scheme providers but if the government was in charge of part p do you think they would run it better than niceic or napit? I don't think they would

bright_Spark likes this.
  4. bright_Spark

Couldnt have put it better myself.

Ind spark and Bazza-spark like this.
  5. bright_Spark

No thats why the only sensible body is the JIB. Always was and always will be.

Bazza-spark likes this.
  6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I think you may touch a few nerves lol. The domestic installers etc that wouldn't get a card won't like the idea.

Edit: And they won't have packouts :D

Ind spark and bright_Spark like this.
  7. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

I don't disagree on that point.
    The problem now with all the different competent person schemes is the snouts are in the trough and it's going to be 1 hell of a wrestling match to try and get them out of the trough.

bright_Spark likes this.
  8. bright_Spark

The JIB wouldnt be helping the cowboys?? They would run them out of the
    Actually stuff the JIB get Milwaukee involved. Even better. Nice one Bazza

Ind spark and Bazza-spark like this.
  9. bright_Spark

Easy fix to that. They apply to the JIB and if your names not on the list you aint getting in.

10. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

I can see it.
    Brand new part p scheme brought to you by Milwaukee. First year registration and assessment only £19,595...

11. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

And this folks is why when you phone an electrician they come and do it, and when you phone a builder the end of your house collapses, any chance of getting Part P or jib or whatever for roofers?

12. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

If you go on that, then why does everyone that wants to drive need a driving licence?

If I want to drive I'll just borrow someone's licence.

bright_Spark likes this.
  13. Ind spark

Oh is that why they're whinging?
    I thought all sparks could get a card.

14. bright_Spark

Bargain. Where do I sign.

15. Ind spark

It would work the way you just explained it, can't prove qualifications cant have the gear.

bright_Spark likes this.
  16. Ind spark

When you wrote this I thought is that it, a 2391 which is a bit hard, i wish someone told me that when i was 17 would of saved me 4 years of ******* about.

Bazza-spark and bright_Spark like this.
  17. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

It's not really a like for like example so I can't see your point to be honest.
    Driving is not the same as buying a roll of cable.
    Asking your mate to pick up a roll of 2.5mm is not the same as driving your car while borrowing your mates licence.

18. Ind spark

No at the moment its different, anyone can buy electrical gear, but not anyone can drive a car.

But both can can get people killed so why should it be different.

19. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

It needs to be different because the proposed solution needs to be feasible.
    Creating new laws and a new enforcement agency to enforce the strict prohibition of buying electrical accessories is not a practical or feasible solution.
    Will there need to be a new enforcement policy for joiners saws? They can be dangerous

20. Ind spark

Again im joking about the tools.