Cast Iron Stair Rails

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by clansman, Aug 30, 2005.

1. clansman

clansman New Member

Hi all
    I am in the process of rebuilding a cast iron stair banister
    The original fitting to the stone steps and between the cast iron parts was with molten lead!
    Is this still the preferred way of doing this or has it been overtaken by some modern resin type fixing
    Any thoughts?

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

I do not know he answer to your question but leading the joints is still done in restoration work. I suspect nowadays that joints are MIG welded for speed and convenience and a resin used to secure ironwork into masonary.

I saw a programme on Discovery where a chap was doing it the old way and creating clay cups around the joint to pour the lead in. I was very labour intensive but it looked really good when it was done.

Not much use this is it?

DWD

3. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Here goes then!!
    Yes - in a refurbishment of listed buildings scenario, molton lead is still used to secure balusters into pockets or holes in stone treads, copings or similar.
    However, in new build, 2-pack pouring resin is used because:
    1. It is cheaper!
    2. It is considerably less dangerous than boiling lead
    with the resultant toxic fumes and potential dangers
    carrying pots full of molton lead about, let alone
    the gas bottles, lead pots, burners etc Health and
    Safety at Work Act, hot works permits etc and so on).
    3. Lead work of any sort is a dieing trade - no pun
    intended.
    4. Resin is much easier to obtain and easier to use.

Your choice......although if it were my job and the situation wasn't sensitive with regard to preserved or listed buildings or similar, I'd use resin.

4. clansman

clansman New Member

Thanks for that
    Stair is my own in a victorian townhouse and had been removed at some point.
    Have managed to find or get made all the parts so hoping to reassemle back to like new. Didnt fancy the lead idea much but if needs be.
    Do have any idea where i might get resin or a brand name etc
    Thanks for help
    Regards

5. bigjules

bigjules New Member

try F. P. Hertings in Southall, Middx. Tel; 020.8606.7000.
    They deliver natiowide - if they don't stock it, (They're main stockists of Fischer and Hilti), or something similar, I'm sure they will assist anyway.
    Goos luck!!

PS - no, I don't work for Hertings but have dealt with them for 25 years plus and there's not much they don't know about structural fixings!!