Concrete Blocks 435mm not 440mm

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Alex08, May 29, 2023.

1. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

Hi,

I have had a delivery of some 7.3N Solid Dense Concrete Blocks they should be 440 x 100 x 215 but they are 435 x 95 x 215. I'm building 2 courses of Blocks then 2 courses of blue bricks under the DPC.

With the blocks being 435 can anyone advise what the best thing to do as they will fall out of sync with the blue brick pitch?

Thanks,

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

3. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

?

4. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

?

5. The Happy Builder

Do you need to be told to thicken the mortar beds out by 5 mm?

6. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

Looks like you need to be told... watch how you speak to people... if your going to let your little ego off its lead I think your best off keep off a fourm. I came here for some advise as I understood the standard for mortar joints to be 10mm I didn't know this that I could change this.

Watch your mouth...

7. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

People come to a fourm for advise. What's obvious to you isn't always to someone else.

8. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

I see your other comments you make on other conversations are the same as what you have done to me. Why do you feel the need to respond in the way you do?

I'm sure your not perfect? I'm sure you have made a mistake? Remember your the same as the rest of us...

Things you know I or others don't things I or others know maybe you don't.

The fact that I'm having to tell you that means I think we are equal. You obviously think that telling me that is a stupid question for someone with no experience yes I have very very little experience with brick/block work.

On the other hand speaking to people in a demoralising degrading manner is not a pleasant thing to do, this is obvious to me and most respectful people.

9. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

I hope you don't speak to people like this in person... absolutely awful way to speak/ type to others...

You should be mindful that you don't know the member you are speaking to... they could be lacking in self confidence, new and after some advice simple or technical (ME!), been told something by someone and wanted to know others opinions or experience...

11. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

I guess the options you have at this moment in time are either to reject the delivery on the basis that you have not been supplied with blocks that meet the specification that you ordered, or roll with what you have.
    I’m not an expert bricklayer, but I’d be fairly comfortable using these blocks with a thicker mortar bed. If the mortar is not visible, say if it under ground level, you could lay a thin bed of mortar, place a piece of slate on this, then add another layer of mortar on top of the slate. This would help build up a mortar bed of 15mm without any adverse effects. To be fair, a 15mm mortar bed isn’t really a major issue.
    Before you make any decisions, have you double checked the dimensions of the whole batch as you may have just picked out the runt of the litter.
    You could also compress the mortar bed of the bricks that you are trying to align with as another option, say 7mm on the bricks and then 12mm on the blocks?

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Alex08 likes this.
  12. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

The joints on blockwork often turn out thicker than 10mm.

Alex08 likes this.
  13. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

Hi Hausfix,

Thanks for your reply. I will go with the 15mm mortar gap in that case. Thanks for your help. I'm inexperienced when it come to brick laying/ block laying with regards to standards. With regulations nowadays I feel like everything I do I'm treading on egg shells as to make sure every t is crossed and I is dotted. That's why I always make sure first.

Thanks again for your help its much appreciated.

14. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

Cheers Stuart,

The only brickwork I've done is bricking a couple of courses up on a window and with the regs now I am really careful I make sure im not missing anything before I do things.

15. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

No worries. I’d certainly suggest approaching the suppliers with a quick conversation about what they supplied compared to what you ordered. Could be a dodgy batch that they will happily replace if they are made aware. Materials are so expensive these days, I don’t think you need to settle for second best. Anyway, best of luck!

Alex08 likes this.
  16. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

Thanks,

I'll give them a call in the morning just out of curiosity to see if this is normal. I brought a brick mate tape to help me keep my pitch right that's where I noticed the blocks were 5mm smaller than stated never thought to check them when they were delivered.

Thanks again & All the best.

Hausfix likes this.
  17. The Happy Builder

For goodness sake!

Everything has manufacturing tolerances, generally concrete blocks can be plus 3 mm or minus 5 mm. So they are in tolerance.

https://www.thakeham.co.uk/images/upload/docum/Block Selector.pdf

Just thicken the joint a bit.

robertpstubbs likes this.
  18. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

Just keep your mouth shut... that's the best thing I think.

I wonder how you have any experience in any trade when you sit key bashing on this fourm all day.

Glad you think you know everything.... NEWS FLASH

YOU DONT! to be honest with what comes out your mouth I'd rather ask the local ice cream man about anything than you.

You'd have been better off not commenting as I'm not going to listen to your comments.

Please refer to other comments from other members as you CLEARLY are unsure how to speak to people.

19. Alex08

Alex08 New Member

Speak to me like a peice of **** and I'll come back at you.

Absolutely rotten attitude really. I don't trust your experience, due to the way you speak you sound very academic. Also the fact you seem to spend all your time on this fourm says that your tool kit is a keyboard and mouse.

People like you that are the dreamers of some of the regulations nowadays that are ridiculous.

20. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

You may benefit by comparing the blues to the facing bricks, and set out to the facings if there’s a difference. No one will notice slightly tighter joints below dpc, but everyone will spot big joints above. With the variation in brick lengths the only thing a brickmate is good for is gauge ;)

Alex08 likes this.