Wallpaper and plaster risks (apparently everything had asbestos in?)

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Edward Lynch, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

Hi all hope you’re well! I will preface this by saying I’m well aware no one can give definitive answers without tests but I was hoping for some guidance as to risk level if possible?
    As seems to be somewhat of a rite of passage in DIY I recently has a bit of an asbestos scare (false alarm!). While waiting for the results to come back I made the questionable decision to research the risks of asbestos, some calming news (realistically need significant/occupational exposure for increased risk) some not (can cause some very serious conditions).
    Something else I did learn is apparently any time before around 1985, asbestos was used in pretty much anything. Still haven’t found examples of it used in food but at this point wouldn’t be surprised, they really loved the stuff back then…
    This apparently includes plaster and wallpaper! When buying this house I had someone come round to test for asbestos in some Artex (also negative), I asked about the wallpaper and he said not to worry and not worth testing but questioning this now a bit though.
    From what I can find it seems the wall paper containing asbestos was vinyl, I’ve wetted the wall papers I have (some horrific textured stuff, asbestos wasn’t the only sin of the past) and it darkens and seems to absorb the water, this means it’s not vinyl so super low/zero risk right?
    Plaster wise I haven’t a clue, I think some is lime concrete? I stripped some wall paper (some basically fell off, some with a steamer) as had no clue that also had risk!
    So in summary, any thing here I should be concerned about?
    Thanks for any help really appreciate it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Nothing to worry about.

Astramax and Edward Lynch like this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Blown vinyl, if the high bits feel spongy, textured paper if not, either way no worries.
    Only thing that I would be suspicious of is paper that has had textured paint (not yours) applied or maybe Lincrusta a very thick paper almost like thin lino.
    If you find Lincrusta it ain't gonna come off with a bit of water, absolute B*****d to remove so it's not that.
    Also you may come across woodchip actully has little chips of wood embedded in the paper again not asbestos.;)

CGN and Edward Lynch like this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That paper is likely to be a Super Fresco, Anaglypta or similar product, popular in the mid 80s--through to early 2000nds.

CGN and Edward Lynch like this.
  5. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

Any asbestos or other risks associated with them?

6. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

Hope so!

7. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

Don't think any textured paint on it (some yellow paint on some that was white as some corners missed. Looking at some of the textured paint elsewhere this is far to even to be done by the same person if so :D).
    Is spongy so possibly blown vinyl, any asbestos risk with that?
    Don't think wood chip, do have some of that elsewhere though, I didn't buy this place for the interior design that's for sure...

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Its fine. Crack on

Edward Lynch likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Absolute 'ZERO' risk from asbestos.

Papered all the ceilings in a property circa 20 years ago using a similar style paper, the property was placed on the market with the ceilings described as having Artexed ceiling through out! :oops:...estate agents :confused::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Edward Lynch and CGN like this.
  10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

All good to go.:)

Astramax, Edward Lynch and CGN like this.