Will laminate flooring contain possible asbestos?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Edward Lynch, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

Hi all hope you're well!

A bit ago I replaced the flooring in my living room with laminate. I added a damp proof membrane and and then added click together laminate over that.

Under this was some (probably) vinyl tiling. It seems relatively decent condition apart from been old and broken a bit around the edges (no remnants though so assume previous owner did this deliberately for some reason).

I'm now stressing my self to hell and back as it occurs to me this might have contained asbestos. Will the laminate be enough to encapsulate it safely? I've considered getting an air test, I currently have a HEPA filter running in the room a fair amount too.

Image of the worst of it and how it looks now: https://imgur.com/a/KgUnYun
    Only damage I made to the tiles myself was pulling some carpet nails up from it (masked up e.c.t. so not concerned about exposure at the time).

Thanks for any help!

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Step back and chill bro......you are coming over as OTT asbestos obsessed! :eek:

Resmond and Edward Lynch like this.
  3. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

Yeah that's fair! :D
    Got my first house and have been doing DIY for the first time so a bit new to it all. Definitely getting that asbestos anxiety for sure so could do with reassurance haha.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You have just covered it. You havn't disturbed it, all you have done is cover it.
    Even it was asbestos, as long as you did nothing other than cover it.............................................forget it...............................enjoy your house.

Edward Lynch likes this.
  5. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

I did remove the carpet grippers but can't see that releasing much at all (particularly once it's covered). My only worry was ongoing exposure due to the tiles possibly not been in perfect condition (a bit broke around the edges).

I also know I'm been an anxious mess! Got a few other non-DIY issues to handle there lol, so do apologise if I'm coming across as a bit neurotic haha!

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Don't worry about it. There is no "ongoing exposure" because it is already fully covered.
    In fact, there are probably millions of houses exactly the same as yours that have carpet or laminate covering old vinyl tiles.
    The only time old vinyl tiles become an issue is if you actually take them up. Then, it becomes a different kettle of fish.

Edward Lynch likes this.
  7. Edward Lynch

Edward Lynch New Member

That makes sense, I must say as I calm down and the more responses I read I do see I may be coming across as a bit off a nutter :D.
    My worry was the tiles been further broken under foot somehow and then asbestos getting up through the sides of the laminate but that might be a bit hypochondriac?
    Thank you for the help!

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No, no, no ................................................................get on with your life and forget about it.

Astramax likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stop worrying otherwise 'Stress' will cause you a lot more illnesses long term. :(