What sticky stuff would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Lightning McQueen, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Mrs Skil has decided she would like a picture rail putting up in our lounge. This would replace the old one that had been ripped out at some point in the long history of our house.

I am about to equip myself with a nice mitre box so I can get nice neat joins but what adhesive would yoou guys recommend for sticking the rail onto the wall. I was thinking pinkgrip or gripfill but is this type of stuff a bit too industrial for what I am doing? Perhaps an off the shelf 'no nails' type of adhesive might be more suitable? What do you think?

I'll be attaching to a newly skimmed wall.

2. The Hay

The Hay New Member

Pinkgrip all the way. Temporary underpinning with panel pins until it goes off. Take tham out next morning.
    Well that's what I'd do....

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

If you are intending to hang pictures from it I would plug & screw as well. If its just decoratine then pink grip will be OK.

Jason

4. rossco_99

rossco_99 New Member

Yeah, if you are going to use it to hang pictures on, then I would definately screw and plug it.

5. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi skil.

I'd 'prime' all the walls first; thinned emulsion, or whatever you were planning to use on it in any case ( & don't say PVA...).

You'll probably need the odd pin to hold it in place whilst the adhesive sets fully, as mentioned above. If you find that the wall is undulating slightly, then you might find that driving a pin right through the rail and into the wall will keep it tight where needed (skew it slightly). If the gaps are more substantial, then plugs might be required.

If the rail is bonded over its full length, it'll take a hell of a picture to rip it off - although jasonb's way is the professional way!

I, personally, like using solvent-free adhesive; much easier and cleaner to use (wipe of excess with a damp cloth) and, although ultimately not as strong as 'solvent' stuff, I've used it for cladding, dados, skirting, etc, etc with no problems. Wiping away the excess leaves a neat 'filled' finish!

6. trustedman

trustedman New Member

pinkgrip, no need for pins (normally) its the future and its pink, which is nice.

7. kesh

kesh New Member

I'd stick some screws through, in conjunction with the adhesive, say 1 per metre just to give it some structural support. Any grab adhesive will do.

You never know if someone might try to hang a mirror off it, or what the kids might try!

8. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Screws look rubbish in picture rail, even if filled and painted.

Hang the pictures off picture hooks.

9. kesh

kesh New Member

Ha Ha, good filling is an art

10. trustedman

trustedman New Member

maybe kesh, and I am v good at it, but I bet if I saw any of your filling I could spot if straight away, and that is not a slur in anyway, but neither of us could see where the glue behind it was.

11. kesh

kesh New Member

True, but you would sure as hell notice if the rail fell off the wall ;)

12. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Yeah ;)

Like i said, use picture hooks, hanging your pictures off your picture rail is so 17th Century :)

(I guessed the 17th Century bit so I await a barage of people telling me exactly when picture rails came into fashion)

13. kesh

kesh New Member

Oh, I quite like to hang a mirror from chains above the fireplace. Of course I'm imagining a Georgian or Victorian setting.

Yup, I'm an old fashioned traditionalist!

14. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Have you removed your electric lights and replaced them with gas yet? ;)

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

16. kesh

kesh New Member

I'm working on it! Then there's juggling part P & Corgi.......

Ooops slightly off topic!:)

17. trustedman

trustedman New Member

18. Mr. Handyandy

why not use some of these.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101228
    &ts=69608&id=74769

you could hide them by papering over them with some
    woodchip,

really Mr Handyandy - no not really,

don't be daft ha, the options are glue or screw,
    anything else will look ****

Errr. You don't see them. None of it is in view.

Mr. Handyandy - really

19. trustedman

trustedman New Member

how are you going to get the screw in if you can't see it?, really

20. Mr. Handyandy

how are you going to get the screw in if you can't
    see it?, really

Well, really !!!!!!

They have a keyhole slot. You put the screw in before fitting the rail. Are you really with us ? Spiritually, mentally ? At all ?

Mr. Handyandy - really