Roofing - help needed on how to edge the roof properly.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Barn Builder, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Barn Builder

Barn Builder New Member

I am just putting a roof onto my large "shed".

I will have common rafters with the typical gable ends at two ends. Over this I will put OSB sheathing.

Then I think I need to put some kind of roofing felt down before topping it off with Fibreglass or Asphalt Shingles.

My questions are as follows:

1) Will any roofing felt do? The latest Screwfix catalogue has a product called Protect A1 Roofing Felt on page 371. Is this OK?

2) At the ends of the eaves I will fit gutters etc. However, I presume I should fit some kind of drip edge under neath the felt and tiles. Again is this the "felt support" thing on page 371?

3) Finally do I need any kind of edging along the gable ends? I will be fitting fascia boards to the gables, but what stops some water dripping under the fascia and possibly getting into the OSB boards along the gable edges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Col

2. Barn Builder

Barn Builder New Member

Help! ....anyone got any answers?

3. Roofer

Roofer New Member

If you are using felt shingles you do not need an underlay, the shingles are fixed directly to the boards. You also don't need the felt support.

The details at the eaves and verges (gable ends) will be shown on the packaging or instruction sheet of the shingles: basically it consists of a strip of felt fixed over the fascia or bargeboard prior to the shingles.