what would you do?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mrsp, Nov 9, 2005.

1. mrsp

mrsp New Member

HI Chaps, (warning this is a long one!)

Recently asked to do job for local allotments, know one of the guys well, done work there before all was well. Was told job involved, (all going from 25mm - 15mm) one garden tap, two connections to ball valves for tanks that store water(not fitting new ball valves just connecting to existing) and one to an existing sink. Through a relative he said he'd pay about a tenner an hour, which was fine as it was a favour, not a real job.

Turned up to do the job about to start first tap and guy tells me its now two taps and they are to be about 15 feet away. So left that moved on, did one of the tanks no probs, doing the second tank and the sink and the same guy comes over and says they are in the wrong place. I decide to get the guy who asked for the work doing. He says its fine where it is, so we complete these two, also says leve the taps, the guy is going to do them himself. The pipe at this point is not connected to the mains as it is new pipe, they intend to find old pipe and connect to new pipe which I was supposed to go back to do.

Been waiting over a week, kept being told wont be long. Then find out through a relative, the job has been done by some one else, that my work was rubbish that i hadn't used pipe inserts (which i had) and basically my work wasn't up to scratch, they had moved the sink/tank.

Basically it sounds like to me that the guy who told us to move everything got peeved off that we went and got the gaffer, so he thought he'd get the job done and in the process try and damage my reputation.

So, now i'm in two minds of what to do, i never agreed to £10 an hour so I could charge a full proper rate for the 3 1/2 hours work and mark up the fitting costs, but would this damage my reputation more, or do I charge £35 plus parts and put it behind me.

I'm just starting out so dont need a bad reputation.

Thanks for your input. And to listening to my rant.

2. Moley

Moley New Member

Charge what you quoted, you will only damage your reputaton further by charging more. In future get the customer to sign a detailed job spec to protect you.

3. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Yup, its a tough world out there. Just wait until you get your first rubber/bouncing cheque returned from your Bank.
    You may well find 'inner strength' that you did'nt know you had to resolve them, "trust me", knocking on the door and then waiting for 'cash' is not a pleasant way of spending an evening.
    We all 'live and learn', so, as the other forum subscriber described, agree in writing, if you have any qualms about getting paid - BEFORE - you start the job.
    just my two old pennies worth.

4. crash

crash Member

try working for facility managment companies and see what they say - :(

5. Fabulous Freda

Fabulous Freda New Member

I'm not a plumber but I believe this holds true for all trades. Its the 'little' jobs which you do as a 'favour' that give the most hassle. If it's a good cause & you've got the time do it as a freebee (good PR). Otherwise quote in writing for specified works at your normal rate. :)