Stone resin shower tray fitting.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by blomster, Jan 20, 2006.

1. blomster

blomster New Member

I'm just about ready to fit my stone resin shower tray.
    I can't decide what to use to bed it onto. I know you can use either weak sand/cement mix or silicone sealant.
    Now I would prefer to use sand /cement for the simple reason it will be much less messy if the tray needs lifting to get it level and so on, but theres something niggling me about using sand/cement mix i'm not sure what.
    Anyone got some good advice for me ?

There is also an issue about how far to recess it into the walls. Its a quadrant shower with frameles enclosure. The trays rim is about 100mm wide when I position the bottom rail I hve to get it right on the inside edge of the tray rim so the ends of the rail are close enough to the wall for fitting. I have recessed the tray into the wall 9mm already. I would have thought the bottom rail should now be roughly near the centre of the tray's 100mm wide rim but its right up to the inside edge of the tray.

Anyone with experience of this type of tray and enclosure please advise. Muchly appreciated.

2. mj

mj Guest

Weak sand/cement mix or cement based rapidset flootile adhesive (so you can work on it again quickly. Silicone doesn't really give the tray enough support.
    Check the fitting instructions for the shower enclosure, as it should indicate where on the tray it sits. Normally it shouldn't be recessed in the plaster by more than 8-10 mm (don't forget the thickness of the tiles) without effecting the fit of the enclosure. Frameless enclosures don't have much adjustment, so the tray must be positioned correctly & be level for correct door operation.

3. blomster

blomster New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the tray and enclosure are made by different companies. There are the verticles that are fastened to the walls then the enclosure slides into these verticles when it is assembled. The trouble is if I want the enclosure to be in the centre of the tray rim then I would need to recess it into the wall by another 20mm or so. other wise the part of the enclosure that fits into the verticle rails will be only half way in if you see what I mean. And there seems to be no way of connecting these together apart from drilling and self tapping screws. But theres no mention of this in the enclosure instructions. Looks to me like theres nothing stopping the whole enclosure from being pulled out of these verticle rails apart from silicone surely there should be a mechanical fixing between the verticles fastened to the walls and the enclosure assembly.

I hope this makes sense. It only just does to me lol.

4. mj

mj Guest

I would speak to the makers technical help dept they should be able to answer your worries specifically. Check that the tray is comparable with the as enclosure, some quad trays have slightly different radii.

5. blomster

blomster New Member

Cheers, The enclosure and tray were supplied by the same company. I think the company manufactures the enclosure or has it manufactured for them but the tray is by www-polypipe.you know what They are definately compatible but the company only sells the stuff so no advice for fitting from them. I could try the tray manufacturer but they wont know the enclosure.
    Bit of a work it out for yourself one.

6. stick the tray down with ardex s16, that way the stone resin tray manufacturing co. will guarantee the installation.. i've always constructed a 4" plinth with 4"x2" and 3/4" ply remember to brace the plinth in the middle aswell as the outside, and construct the plinth 10mm smaller than the tray, allowing for a self made fascia from upvc or whatever

7. blomster

blomster New Member

stick the tray down with ardex s16, that way the
    stone resin tray manufacturing co. will guarantee the
    installation.. i've always constructed a 4" plinth
    with 4"x2" and 3/4" ply remember to brace the plinth
    in the middle aswell as the outside, and construct
    the plinth 10mm smaller than the tray, allowing for a
    self made fascia from upvc or whatever

Cheers for reply but I dont need a plinth and fascia.
    Will look into the ardex s16 though.

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I stuck down a great big tray yesterday, I used Bal rapidset flexible, absolutely solid today.

9. blomster

blomster New Member

How was it for leveling ? Mine is machined underneath which is not level. My floor is level.

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

It went down perfectly, I normally do a dry run and use plastic wedges underneath if I need to level it up, then bed the tray down firmly by standing on the tray and pushing it down.

It does take a bit of practise, I've fitted a few hundred over the years though.

11. blomster

blomster New Member

Great to hear that bstyle as thats exactly what I have been doing. Using plastic packers suplied with the windows I recently fitted to level the tray.

12. blomster

blomster New Member

Great to hear that bstyle as thats exactly what I
    have been doing. Using plastic packers suplied with
    the windows I recently fitted to level the tray.

So is this ok provided it is well binded with cement or ardex flexible ?

13. blomster

blomster New Member

I was supplied with lots of packers for anyone thinking I used my glass packers for something else lol.