2391 Exam

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spike, Mar 14, 2006.

1. spike

spike Guest

Hi All
    I am just sitting here revising for the exam this thursday doing a few past papers. I am a little concerned at how quick i am getting through them averaging 45mins to an hour!!!! anybody else finding the same??

2. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

a few people in my exam left before the hour mark, all failed

i finished mine in bout 2 hours. the questions at the back take a fair bit of time

past papers can become repetitive and you can reel out the same old answers but you can guarantee city and guilds will word a couple differently just to confuse you

remember the last questions carry a lot of marks so you are expected to describe the answer in great detail

3. spike

spike Guest

Notts, how long to answer section A, and how much detail in section B as i am finding that some questions do not appear to require great explanations?

4. richkav1

richkav1 New Member

Hi doing mine on Thursday too. I can whizz through the first 20 no problem with about a 90% success rate. Second 6 taking at least an hour and a quarter. Fingers crossed though. Good luck to all of you.

5. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

cant remeber the ins and outs as i did it a few years ago but dusnt it tell u how many marks each questions require?

for example, remember getting a question asking to describe how to test an earth electrode and it carried 10 marks so you should be looking to make 10 points in your question, eg what insrument you should use (1 point), distances where u stake (1 point) and so on.

try to avoid having to rely on the answers in past papers, a few will come up, especially at the beginin but its the last questions that get u ur pass

6. spike

spike Guest

Notts, Are you suggesting that i should leave the past papers now in favour for some more re reading of GN3?

7. masterseal

masterseal New Member

And also remember chaps that the pressure when your taking the exam is alot different to when your sitting at home with a nice cup of tea etc

When i did mine in 2002 the paper was completely different to any that i had revised from.

Good luck to you all :)

8. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

GN3 is the testing bible but past papers teach you how city and guilds want u to answer the question.

just make sure you have the ability to interpret what each question is asking for and not recite the same answers that kept comin up in past papers

remember in mine they worded the questions totally different to anything id done on a past paper in section b.

if you do well in section a, which as im sure ull know is relativley easy, and answer only one of the back questions fully you will pass. i dont think the pass mark is that high to be fair but a lot of people still fail. a mixture of gn3 and past papers and im sure ull be fine

9. spike

spike Guest

How did you find the Practical Assessments?

10. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

make sure you get ur banker marks.

instrument, scale, safe isolation, expected reading.

theres 4 marks iv got and im not even sitting the exam :)

11. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

i managed to fly through it but in fairness, the teacher made sure we wernt gonna fail. he did brief us well before on what we were likely to be up against and what they look for

12. masterseal

masterseal New Member

Practicle assesment was a lot easier than the written exam.

I thought so anyway if you are competent at testing you should breeze through it, as long as you know what the results you are obtaining mean then no probs.

The written part is a lot different because you have to have everything that you have learnt at the front of your brain and then be able to convert your answers to paper without the aid of any books.

13. spike

spike Guest

now there's a thought why is this the only exam whereby you can use your books???? like you are not going to have them on site!!!!

14. nottsspark

nottsspark New Member

to test you have to be able to get the theoretical part in your head right to understand it, hence the absence off books

i test every day and sometimes some of the things you come across, results you get boggle the mind,
    u then have to realise why you have got that reading or where the fault lies

i have had years of painful experiences which no book can prepare u for

15. simmes

simmes New Member

Hi All,
    Just sat 2391 exam last nite, did anyone else think it was hard.
    Does any body know how many marks you need to pass?

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Just sat 2391 exam last nite, did anyone else think it was hard.
    Does any body know how many marks you need to pass?<

50% of A questions

60% of B questions

17. simmes

simmes New Member

cheers mate, hope im lucky!