Have I wasted my money or do I have other options

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kirby Castle, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

...so I pay my £1000 and do my NICEIC domestic installers course, pass and pay the same again for test equipment and certification software.
    I then get my certificate and NICEIC joining form which tell me that I need 6 months electrical installation experience for NICEIC membership or I could go through building control for jobs that need BC certification.
    I ring building control and I'm told I need to complete a building control notification form and pay £210+VAT!!!
    So I ask why it was so expensive and the reply was "so that you join a scheme" - bah humbug!
    Any ideas?

Steve

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I then get my certificate and NICEIC joining form
    which tell me that I need 6 months electrical
    installation experience for NICEIC membership or I
    could go through building control for jobs that need
    BC certification.

Ring up the nice and check that - it doesn't sound right to me.

3. Brunokid

Brunokid New Member

So lets get this right.....

You have either none or next to no experience in electrical installations, not served an apprenticeship, not assisted an electrician, don't understand the Regs, etc etc etc... but have decided that you are going to start a company up in the business????????

You must be one of the most cleverist people in here!

4. dingbat

dingbat New Member

Brunokid has a point.

From your post it appears you have done almost everything backwards. How come you did a course, then bought test equipment, then looked into joining a scheme and only then considered how you would go about actually carrying out work? What's your next move, looking into what's involved in going self-employed?

Or is this simply a hypothetical situation?

5. alex69

alex69 New Member

....there are other Electrical Accreditaion bodies other than the NICEIC! Try one of them.....e.g. ELECSA or NAPPIT

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Looks like you need to sort out the fundamentals fist matey, like how to do the job and getting some non-notifiable work under ya belt before you start worrying about joining a Scam! :O

7. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

I find it interesting that the first thing that most people jump to is my experience and, whilst I accept that my circumstances are not "the norm" and that I didn't describe exactly what experience I have, it is assumed that I wouldn't know a switch wire from a banana.
    I did a lot of research about my course and registration and I cannot recall seeing anything on the need for what could be called "declarable" experience untill I read the application form.
    The point is that I am trying to do this properly - to do this by the book and to the regs and I am after practical advice, knowledge and experience with regard to my particular circumstances and other schemes/building control offices.
    Steve

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

So lets get this right.....

You have either none or next to no experience in
    electrical installations, not served an
    apprenticeship, not assisted an electrician, don't
    understand the Regs, etc etc etc... but have decided
    that you are going to start a company up in the
    business????????

You must be one of the most cleverist people in here!

...er...well basically thats what I did 3 years ago mate! Must one of the cleverest blokes on 'ere ;)

UP

9. Mr Firestarter

Mr Firestarter New Member

Kirby NIC require 6 months contracting experience for 'Approved Contractor' status. You can go for 'Domestic Installer' status straight away like anyone else starting out and then look to upgrade your status in due course and subject to assessment being ok.
    2381 and 2391 would be a good move for you if you are not apprentice trained and if you had those you could go 'Full Scope' with NAPIT from the off if assesment was ok. 2381 would give you much better knowledge of BS7671 and 2391 for the inspection and testing which is so crucial now. It would genuinely be a sound investment for you.
    Hope this is of some help

10. weasel

weasel Member

Unfortunately they are correct. If you appear to be up to it a scheme will take you on. Theres no way anyone should be able to start up like this after just 1 domestic installers course. I`d put the papers away for a while, get some experience and then approach the NIC if thats your wish. "I`ve had a kick about in the park today, maybe I`ll ask man united for a trial?!

11. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

Mr Firestarter thank you - now I understand.
    I was recommended 2381 and 2391 by my DISQ course tutor (the right honourable CPC no less) - I think I could do with an "accelerated" version of these given my electronics background (does anyone know of one?)
    I have also contacted a spark friend of mine who has put me in touch with an installer who may be able to offer me some time on site and offer me some advice.

Oh and I wouldn't play football for Manure for anything!

12. weasel

weasel Member

Fair play to you, well done with that. sorry if the post sounded a bit harsh! (I`d had a few jars watching the arsenal game, see time!)But I work with guys on 1 year courses and I can`t see as they`ll be near ok to send out on their own after that time. You`d be amazed at what you pick up from other sparks, the kind of tips, best methods and stuff that you only pick up along the way, that colleges can`t show you! However I realise that for some a 5 year apprenticeship just isn`t possible (mortgages etc eh!!)

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

14. Brunokid

Brunokid New Member

Kirby...
    Where about's are you mate?

Bru

15. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

Dunstable Bedfordshire

16. state-it

state-it New Member

If you're in Beds then Dartford isn't an unreasonable distance for you. (I did it from Brighton a while back).

Try Technical Training Solutions - http://www.technicaltrainingsolutions.co.uk/

Not to be confused with Technique Training, who appear to be a cram-as-many-people-in-as-possible-sausage-machine-business

Technical Training Solutions publish the litttle brown and yellow reference books for electricians and are the Amicus preferred trainers.

If you're skint-ish chat with them on the phone. I talked to Martin there and got my courses at half price a while back. (If your employers send you on a course then you get charged full whack, etc. etc)

Good people and above 90% pass rates for 2391 because of good instruction.

17. tellondon

tellondon New Member

Can you guys clarify something? I always thought the 2381 (16th edition) exam was a refresher course for electricians who took their main exams (236 part 1 and 2) under a different edition? Now a days its looked as an electricians course in its own right, obviously thats a different debate in its self but my question is.... if you take an up to date `full` exam course as the 2360 or modern equivilent such as 2330? 3300? course then why do you have to do the 2381 as well?

18. state-it

state-it New Member

Because NAPIT, NICEIC etc like to see you have it. Or if you don't want to join them, then LABCs like to see you have 2381 as well as 2391 to be deemed competent to sign your own work off. Whether you have 236x or not.

19. state-it

state-it New Member

Plus, if you want to be an employee, most of the job ads in my area ask for a 2381.

20. tellondon

tellondon New Member

That wasnt my question, if you do a full course such as the modern equivilent of the 2360 parts 1 and 2 you should be taught to the 16th edition, so why do you have to do an `update course` to teach you the regs?