Bad plastering

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by john208, May 13, 2006.

1. Had you considered that Wales was .......well.....simply being sarcastic,

2. panlid

panlid New Member

how can it be personal, i dont even know you. ??????
    **** me this site has got some cry babies on it nowadays.

3. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

The site has got a Victor Meldrew wannabee on it as well Panlid.
    Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning or is this your normal attitude

4. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

It's his normal attitude.

;)

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For £180 I would expect a flat surface, and would complain until I got one, or punched someone.

Newly plastered ceiling ? 20 minutes to come back and level it(excluding travel, for the pedantics).

Mr. HandyAndy - really

6. ­

­ New Member

Newly plastered ceiling ? 20 minutes to come back and
    level it

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Uh!?

7. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

Whos normal attitude ?

8. panlid

panlid New Member

mine....
    anyway andy, what the **** could he do in twenty minutes?

9. ­

­ New Member

Handy - the forum jester

10. Mr. Handyandy

mine....
    anyway andy, what the **** could he do in twenty
    minutes?

Here we go again.

Sid's not a plasterer.

Verycleverman obviously can't plaster either(can't even lay a course of bricks properly)

But they know better.

I would like to offer a plasterer the chance to imagine the ceiling, and say what he could perhaps do in 20 minutes.

Any takers ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

20 minutes? I thought it was only one room needed doing?

12. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

<i a=" and=" chance=" could=" do=" he=" imagine=" in=" like=" minutes.=" offer=" perhaps=" plasterer=" say=" the=" to=" what=" would=">

(drink tea, scratch ar$e and talk about the weather...?)[/i]

13. panlid

panlid New Member

hold on andy your not a plasterer either but you profess to know it can be flattened in 20 minutes.
    as a well known pedantic i will pick up on the travel issue. will he fly there? its ok discounting it but the fact is he has to travel there. i am on the side of getting him to do it again i am just unlike you being realistic.
    but anyway you are adamant it can be flatened in 20 minutes and as i have never had a plasterer work with me i havnt got a clue so please enlighten us all and tell us what he can do in twenty minutes

14. dj.

dj. New Member

i agree with ha on this one, it is possible but it is a closely guarded secret, if i never post again it is because i broke the plasterers code and told you how it's done.
    slowly miander to the job taking care not to wipe your feet or use any dust sheets that will take you 5 minutes.
    then, and this is the important bit, take ten minutes to stare at the ceiling making sure you stare at the entire ceiling and don't miss any areas. do this for ten minutes and hey presto you will have stared your ceiling flat, in the trade we call it "a good coat of looking at"
    miandering back home will take a further 5 minutes.
    so yes it can be done and you will be £500 better off too.

15. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

20 minutes hey, what about aims it out !

16. Mr. Handyandy

Christ, you lot don't try hard enough.

First time I tried plastering I didn't do too bad a job, but looking at it the next day, I must admit it did look abit awful.

Now this was on a wall or two(four actually, but two walls passed my needs). I should imagine that a ceiling
    should be no different.

I thought well, give it a quick skim over, shouldn't be too difficult. But plaster i put on dried almost as soon as it hit the wall.

So I changed my mind midflow, sprayed the area needing treatment with water, filled the offending gouges, pocks etc. srayed again, smoothed over, finished.

Very reasonable. Not professional by any means, but I'll bet that the original poster would have accepted it on his ceiling.

For a beginner to do this(I did it on two walls) I cannot see why a professional could not do it ten times better, AND quicker.

Basically, wetting and patching and smoothing where necessary.

Now, am I just too clever, or are there no professionals out there.

To be honest, I've never seen, or had cause to compliment a plasterer yet.

Anything else I can help you with ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

17. Mr. Handyandy

Christ, you lot don't try hard enough.

First time I tried plastering I didn't do too bad a job, but looking at it the next day, I must admit it did look abit awful.

Now this was on a wall or two(four actually, but two walls passed my needs). I should imagine that a ceiling
    should be no different.

I thought well, give it a quick skim over, shouldn't be too difficult. But plaster i put on dried almost as soon as it hit the wall.

So I changed my mind midflow, sprayed the area needing treatment with water, filled the offending gouges, pocks etc. srayed again, smoothed over, finished.

Very reasonable. Not professional by any means, but I'll bet that the original poster would have accepted it on his ceiling.

For a beginner to do this(I did it on two walls) I cannot see why a professional could not do it ten times better, AND quicker.

Basically, wetting and patching and smoothing where necessary.

Now, am I just too clever, or are there no professionals out there.

To be honest, I've never seen, or had cause to compliment a plasterer yet.

Anything else I can help you with ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

18. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

You need help from the magic plastering fairy/goblin.
    He lives in cloud cuckoo land.
    Thats why only Andy knows the secret...;)

19. panlid

panlid New Member

i wonder yorky do they have pva in cloud cuckoo land?;)
    this is another one for the handand fanclub over at
    http://www.trustedtradesmen.com/forum/default.asp
    unfortunatley the thread is in the pub section which you have to post for a while to get access. just to make sure your not a crybaby.
    anyway andy. that last post will get into the classic section. getting abit long now so we may have to start another fanclub:)

20. ­

­ New Member

Handy is certainly good for a laugh!