Silicone Sealant.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by goody_1000, Jun 1, 2006.

1. goody_1000

goody_1000 New Member

Ok so silcone sealant. It can finsish the job and is usually the first thing a customer will notice if it's not up to scratch.

Now silicone sealant and I do NOT get on. I spend an absolute age finishing of jobs becasue of the silicone.

Please all tips and methods, old wives tales and all would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron.

2. Cobblers

Cobblers New Member

make sure the surfaces are clean and dry.
    I usually spray over the silicone bead with a kitchen spray, this makes it far easier to smooth, there are also various tools you can buy to make the job easier.Wearing those thin rubber gloves is agood idea too.

3. DaveBoy

DaveBoy New Member

I would agree with wearing latex gloves, the other thing I find useful, to get a smooth finish, is to dip my gloved finger in a 50/50 mix of washing up liquid and water. Also don't use too much sealant, keep the cut on the nozzle small.
    David

4. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Get your self a Fugenboy silicon tool sf 28167, this tool may not look much but it is a superb bit of kit.

5. goody_1000

goody_1000 New Member

Picked one up today, I've got a bathroom to fit on Thursday, should be Silicontastic by Friday. I'll let you know how I get on!

Aaron.

6. jeffev

jeffev Member

don't cut the ozzle to bib it's easier to add than take away

7. jeffev

jeffev Member

sorry nozzle

8. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

I use a little spray bottle to spray it once I've tooled it once. Also I use a fugenboy and I spary that and my hands to clean it, silicone does not like washing up liquid

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Those of you that spray the bead of silicone after application should go back to the job after a couple of years.

I know lots of guys that do this and find that the silicone looks perfect straight after being applied but gradually over time the edge of the bead can attract dirt as it hasn't properly adhered at the edges.

It's always better to just dip your finger in the solution.

10. Oldandtired

Oldandtired New Member

I use a Caulkrite tool cheap and very effective. I actually look forward to the silicone bit as the result is predictably good. Don't last long though as once the edges are 'blunt' they don't work so well.
    My sister in law sends me them from Canada where apparently you can get them in Home Deeepoh etc.
    Victrex used to sell this but for some reason (probably licensing) stopped. I saw something like it in the Kleeneezee catalogue but when I tried to get it it was discontinued. Works for me.

11. goody_1000

goody_1000 New Member

12. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

13. 207.2

207.2 New Member

I've been told that 90% of all silicone is made in one factory before been sold on to the likes of dowcorning etc. Are we paying 6-7 quid for the same stuff that can be found for 2 to 3?
    Which is the best stuff?

14. Oldandtired

Oldandtired New Member

Yes goody that's the one

15. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I have been using Wickes silicone, Seems much easier to work with.

16. Bod1

Bod1 Member

This is not correct at all, there are 5 main producers on Silicone in the world; DC, Rhodia, Wacker, Shinetsu and GE. Pretty much all silicone comes from these guys, and they sell their own branded materials. However many companies buy base material and compound their own variation. As a general rule of thumb the manufacturers sell materials of highest price and quality (since they have a reputation to protect), some other compounders spend most time diluting the silicone to make it cheaper!

17. peajay

peajay Member

An obvious comment maybe, but I presume you are using masking tape each side of the joint ? using tape you can smooth it anyway you want and the finished seal looks excellent. But you must remove the tape straight away and don't use too much silicone.

18. Jay 2 0

Jay 2 0 Member

yeah, i hate that part too. Just recently finished my bathroom and so had to silicone the bath edge. So, siliconed the edges and then rinsed a J cloth under water and went round over the sillicone with that.. "wallah!!!" PUKKA JOB!!