Shower switch bonding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by iprwolf, Jun 3, 2006.

1. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

Can anyone clear up a small matter for me or give advise.
    Am competent at fitting general electrics in my new extension I will have all work checked for part p and BCO but have been told 2 stories. Part P spark tells me to cross bond elec shower switch with 4mm earth to water pipes and light circuit in bathroom ? (as well as all other bonding) My concern with that, the juice should there be a problem, going down 1.5mm cable to earth.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

> Am competent at fitting general electrics in my new
    extension

Right!

> My concern with that, the juice should there be a problem, going down 1.5mm cable to earth.

Competence comes with understanding!

In this case NOT!

3. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

Min 4mm if exposed, 2.5mm if contained green/yellow

RS

4. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

In not questioning doing the job, just need to UNDERSTAND if its correct? Many Thanks

5. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

3.3 Minimum csa for protection against external influences
    In order to provide a degree of protection against external influences, Regulation 543-01-01 specifies a minimum csa for protective conductors of 2.5 mm2 if protection against mechanical damage is provided and 4 mm2 if such protection is not provided. The minimum csa values of 2.5 mm2 and 4 mm2 do not apply, however, to a protective conductor which is an integral part of a cable (such as an ‘twin & earth’ cable or an armoured cable), or to a protective conductor which is formed by conduit, ducting or trunking or which is contained in an enclosure formed by a wiring system.
    :)

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Well it's certainly not incorrect

7. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

Im learning Swahili next week, I c ur point, but straight forward Yes its correct or No its wrong in the queens english would have done ;) GOD SAVE THE QUEEN !!!!

8. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

Many Thanks

9. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

Min 4mm if exposed, 2.5mm if contained green/yellow

RS

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

iprwolf

Part P registered sparks is correct. You need to connect together exposed conductive parts and extraneous conductive parts in areas of increased risk of electric shock ie bathrooms and rooms containing a bath or shower. You can use EITHER the shower cpc terminal OR the shower switch terminal to take a supplementary bond from then connect to the metal pipework and to the lighting circuit on the fitting or the pull cord switch. As long as everything is linked counts as supplementary bonding.

As for your concern about current flowing down a 1.5mm2 cpc...you are totally off track. NO current will flow down the cpc unless a fault develops and it should be milliseconds before the mcb or RCD trips and halts it. Dont forget that all the circuits contain a cpc already. Your supplementary bonding is additional to the cpc and is there for a different purpose.

Just do as spark tells you and you will be okay. ;)

UP

11. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

Many Thanks for that, I realised that about the short amount of time to trip, just wanted to make sure so that i can fit earth in place before plastering etc. Thanks again.